Top Den Award

General race coordinator discussions.
mehiggins101
Journeyman
Journeyman

Top Den Award

Post by mehiggins101 »

I'm looking to create a Cubmaster Cup trophy for the fastest den. The main goal is to further boost sportsmanship by encouraging den mates to cheer for each other. The secondary goal is to just add a new element and keep the PWD from getting old and/or routine--especially for the older Cubs.

My pack has dens that range in size from 3 kids to 14. What do you think is the fairest way to determine the fastest den?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Top Den Award

Post by Vitamin K »

mehiggins101 wrote:I'm looking to create a Cubmaster Cup trophy for the fastest den. The main goal is to further boost sportsmanship by encouraging den mates to cheer for each other. The secondary goal is to just add a new element and keep the PWD from getting old and/or routine--especially for the older Cubs.

My pack has dens that range in size from 3 kids to 14. What do you think is the fairest way to determine the fastest den?
Promote the top three finishers from each den to a championship race, is how I would do it. Then present them as teams, "Representing Team Wolf, we have..." If you're running timed races, you can give the cup to whichever Den has the lowest average combined times.
mehiggins101
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mehiggins101 »

Vitamin K wrote: Promote the top three finishers from each den to a championship race, is how I would do it. Then present them as teams, "Representing Team Wolf, we have..." If you're running timed races, you can give the cup to whichever Den has the lowest average combined times.
Thanks for the reply.

Our current format has each den race; you race just within your den with a top three of each den determined. Then the top three from each den proceed to the finals and re-race to determine the pack's overall top three.

My hope was to have this Cubmaster Cup Top Den Award include the efforts, so to speak, of each racer. As I said, as we currently do it, the top three from the den already get to move up. This way, even if you were the slowest in your den, if your den was the fastest, you get to share in the victory.

I was thinking of just averaging the top speeds of each member of the den, but is that fair for dens with big size differences?

Do any of the race programs already do something like this?
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

I really like this idea, especially counting the entire den. The slowest kid in the pack can still be part of a winning effort, and it promotes solidarity. I am adding it to our rules. I figure if needed we can use an Excel sheet to do the calculations. Would be interested to hear if there are other options.