Air Guides.

General race coordinator discussions.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Air Guides.

Post by whodathunkit »

With all the new improvements to cut down on drag from air flow into wheel openings.
Some of the different types of the clear air guides i'v seen on different web sites lately.
Some will let the wheel hub pass threw to touch the car body..
and some only let the axle passes threw a small hole to glue to the car body.

For rules sake i'd like to here some of your thoughts .. should the hubs pass threw to make contact with the car body.

Scout ruling and or Pro ruling!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Air Guides.

Post by Speedster »

1. Axle only passing through creates a bushing. That will disqualify the car for most scout races. 2. Even though they are clear, they will hide the ridge created by a 1.8 gram wheel. It will not be possible to feel the ridge with your fingernail. The only thing left to identify a lightened wheel will be the outer step removed. If the outer step is not removed I don't see a way to identify a lightened wheel. The insert by itself offers very little advantage but lightened wheels are a definite advantage.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Pro ruling is not valid here as we don't discuss "pro", but for the fun of it, most pro allow washers and are non issue, unless specifically ruled against aerodynamic improvements.

I would rather say washer than bushing, based on Websters dictionary.

Bushing, noun
Electricity. a lining for a hole, intended to insulate and protect from abrasion one or more conductors that pass through it.

Machinery. a.a replaceable thin tube or sleeve, usually of bronze, mounted in a case or housing as a bearing.
b.a replaceable hardened steel tube used as a guide for various tools or parts, as a drill or valve rod.

Washer, noun
a person or thing that washes.

washing machine.

a flat ring or perforated piece of leather, rubber, metal, etc., used to give tightness to a joint, to prevent leakage, to distribute pressure, etc., as under the head of a nut or bolt.

If the wheel rides on it, I would say you are bordering on a washer. I don't know why they are illegal in so many rules, an easy mod for families.

Let say the wheel doesn't ride on it and they are the weighed version homemade out of washers, are they illegal if washers are illegal? How about a washer for weight, not used on or near the axles? How about one that lets the wheels touch the body, with a larger center hole but still a washer?

I never thought about them being used to hide a lightened wheel, but could see that happening.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, you're correct. It would be a washer and not a bushing.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Just for the sake of discussion. Regarding many divisions for the Mid America race. Under Wheels, Modifications NOT allowed.

"No filling of any wheel surface with any type material". You have Air Guides in your wheels. Will you pass inspection?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote:Just for the sake of discussion. Regarding many divisions for the Mid America race. Under Wheels, Modifications NOT allowed.

"No filling of any wheel surface with any type material". You have Air Guides in your wheels. Will you pass inspection?
Properly installed, "air guides" should not contact the wheel, nor the axle. Thus, they are not "filling" the wheel, nor acting as a washer or a bushing.

They should pass Mid-America rules provided that they are clear enough to give inspectors a good enough view of the inside of the wheel to verify that the required lettering is present.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

knotthed wrote:
If the wheel rides on it, I would say you are bordering on a washer. I don't know why they are illegal in so many rules, an easy mod for families.
Easy and cheap. And often the washer rule will not be consistent with a rule often phrased like "other materials can be added to the car as long it meets the dimension criteria". That's why the Northern Star Council rules now allow washers.
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:
Speedster wrote:Just for the sake of discussion. Regarding many divisions for the Mid America race. Under Wheels, Modifications NOT allowed.

Properly installed, "air guides" should not contact the wheel, nor the axle. Thus, they are not "filling" the wheel, nor acting as a washer or a bushing.

They should pass Mid-America rules provided that they are clear enough to give inspectors a good enough view of the inside of the wheel to verify that the required lettering is present.
Some "air guide" designs do contact the axle and the wheel. This design is actually growing in popularity. These would absolutely classify as a washer because the inner hub rubs against the air guide itself, not the body of the car.

Do MA rules prohibit washers?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

LightninBoy wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:

Some "air guide" designs do contact the axle and the wheel. This design is actually growing in popularity. These would absolutely classify as a washer because the inner hub rubs against the air guide itself, not the body of the car.

Do MA rules prohibit washers?
Huhn, interesting. The more you know...though I guess it sounds like having the air guide act as a washer would make installation and alignment a lot simpler...

I know a lot of those Mid-America turned wheels have such thin outer walls that they are required to be run reversed, with a spacer. If that's the case, it seems like there should be no issue with a washer, right?