Starting Council Race

General race coordinator discussions.
bobcatbrown520
Journeyman
Journeyman

Starting Council Race

Post by bobcatbrown520 »

I run our District Pinewood Derby and our District is in the Greater St Louis Area Council.....however we have no council Race. They tell us we are the 3rd largest council in the US AND I think it's a shame we have no Council Race. Anyone got any suggestions on setting this up..

Anyone here from the same Council??

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starting Council Race

Post by gpraceman »

Is the council on board with doing a race? There were rumblings in our council about doing a race, but I don't think that one ever materialized. There's certainly hurdles to overcome: person to head it up, venue, date, volunteers, rules, who is eligible, track/timer/software setup, getting the word out, and so on.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Starting Council Race

Post by Speedster »

Well, Randy seems to have covered a few things to think about.
Allow me to share a race I introduced to our Council many years back. I wanted to have a race between The Boy Scouts and any Business that wanted to participate with the Business paying a fee to participate. It started out "YOU DO IT" !!!!!. The End.

A more recent race was The local professional Hockey Team intended to hold a Pinewood Derby race and the top 3 winners would get to meet and talk with the team. I asked them for the rules. I was told there weren't any rules, this was just for Fun. Really, that's what he told me. I described my Mid America car to him and asked him how many Toledo Police he was going to have for the race. We discussed Pinewood Derby Racing further and I think they invited Scouts to come run their car down the track and they got in for Free to watch the game.

It would be interesting to know how many Council races there are in the U.S. The Girl Scouts in my area actually do have 3 races. Our Cub Scout Pack hosts the 1st two for some troops and the 3rd one takes place in Waterville, Ohio on a wood track. The folks running the wood track do a nice job but there is a little bump on one of the lanes. Fortunately, no cars left the track.