Construction Demonstration Model

How to have useful construction workshops.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Construction Demonstration Model

Post by Stephen's Dad »

I beieve it was here at Derby Talk that I saw a series of mocked up "cars" mounted to a board. If memory serves, the first was a block of wood with design lines all laid out. The next was rough cut. Then some detail. Then sanded. Then finished.

I just spent an hour searching & couldn't find it. Darin? Stan?

We're putting one together for a workshop on the 29th & would like ideas.

Thanks in Advance,

Stephen's Dad
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Construction Demonstration Model

Post by gpraceman »

Stephen's Dad wrote:I beieve it was here at Derby Talk that I saw a series of mocked up "cars" mounted to a board. If memory serves, the first was a block of wood with design lines all laid out. The next was rough cut. Then some detail. Then sanded. Then finished.

I just spent an hour searching & couldn't find it.
Maybe this is what you are looking for http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... age&pid=16
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

That's it Randy....Thank You!
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

Thank you Randy for the post. My pack is conducting its first Pinewood derby this year and we used this as a guide to build our own construction steps board. If anyone is interested, I can email a picture of our board to them along with a poster showing construction steps.

We have used the models and board and tied them to our workshops and to show the steps that we will be covering in the workshops and the steps that Scout/Parent teams will have to complete on their own.

We showed car construction in 4 major steps: 1st is the creation of templates and transfer of the template to the wood block. 2nd is a rough cut model of a wedge design with weight holes. 3rd is a sanded and sealed body without weights, and 4th is the finished vehicle. Two wheels are turned and two wheels are not to demonstrate the difference. We added dry transfer decals to show this process.

All, of this is then tied to the Construction Poster and the workshops.

We have had feedback from a few parents so far that this was a very helpful visual aid.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

A customer made the demonstration model below, and asked me to post it for him (he asked that his name not be used). I think he did a very nice job.

Profile of Demonstration Model

Bottom View Showing Pins to Hold Car Bodies in Place
FAST Racing
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by FAST Racing »

Great Idea!!
Father And Son T eam = F.A.S.T. Racing