The Reward

How to have useful construction workshops.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

The Reward

Post by Stephen's Dad »

We decided to hold three Workshops this year. In the past, we'd hold a single "Skills Building Workshop" where the Boys would get a chance to try using various hand tools on scrap pine lumber.

At my urging, this year we also are holding two hands-on-actual-car "Build Workshops". The Pack's elder Committee Members were somewhat hesitant until some parents became a little more vocal after hearing of my offer to host these events.

Of particular concern to me were two boys of single parent families who I know really struggle with the PWD. But we also had the interest of the "all thumbs" Dads & a couple doctors & lawyers. Great folks. Just not real handy with a block of wood.

The first "Build Workshop" was this past Saturday. The two single parent Boys were both there & were very enthusiastic. My handiest ACM & I each guided 6 pairs of hands over the Scroll saws. Other Pinewood Committee Dads ran sanders, Dremels, drill presses, etc.

But my techie ACM & I had these two very enthusiastic Boys at our sides all day. After 3.5 hours they were still enthused but we had to call it a day.

Tonight was the "Skills Workshop" which we didn't expect would be very well attended considering we had 25% of our Pack at the first "Build Workshop". But there were our two apprentices each clutching their cars.

While it wasn't part of the nights curriculum, each was busting at the seams to proudly share their progress. "My" apprentice sat at my side all night listening to my tips but sanding away on his own car.

Each one is also looking forward to our last "Build Workshop" of this year so they can glean more pointers & learn still more about this fine endeavor. My own son is a little jealous having noticed a marked similarity to his own radical design that my apprentice picked out of a design lineup by himself. But he understands the situation & is offering helpful advice to him.

I think the best part of holding these multiple sessions is the smaller groups we handle. Each helping hand has fewer than 2 Boys to assist. I especially appreciate this because as Cubmaster, I don't often get to spend this much individual one-on-one time with the Boys. I've really been able to get to know these guys a lot better.

I am so proud of all these boys right now. They always make me happy, but tonight they made my week.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: The Reward

Post by doct1010 »

Kudos on a job well done!