cutting metal on a wood-only band saw?

How to have useful construction workshops.
gotquestion
Apprentice
Apprentice

cutting metal on a wood-only band saw?

Post by gotquestion »

Is it possible?

I know I'd need a high TPI, metal-cutting blade but is there any reason that cutting thin steel on a wood-only band saw would be a mistake?

The owners manual says no but, I don't know of that is the engineer or the lawyer talking.

Thanks for your input.
Larry
Assistant Cub Master and Pinewood Marshal Pack 5
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: cutting metal on a wood-only band saw?

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

There would be 2 problems.

Not enough horsepower, the additional load might stall the motor.

The biggest problem is that cutting thin metal you need to have at least 1 (?) tooth in the cut at all times to reduce the "bite" the tooth is taking. If the metal goes to the bottom of the tooth gut it will rip out the tooth. All of the teeth can disapper very quickly. The is a sign on the band saw at work (2 HP!) not to cut metal thinner than 1/8 (?) or it will wreck the blade.
gotquestion
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gotquestion »

Good point!! Don't want to rip out teeth :)
Larry
Assistant Cub Master and Pinewood Marshal Pack 5
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

The biggest issue is that a metal bandsaw goes a lot slower then a wood bandsaw. Metal is between 85 - 300 FPM. Wood bandsaws don't usually go below 600 and usually up to 3000 and sometimes even higher.
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rdeis »

I have a basic 10" Delta bandsaw and have cut 1/4" aluminim bar stock using a metal cutting blade.

I don't know if that applies to your situation or not.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

We cut a slice off of several 2inch diameter lead "hockey pucks" this year so at 1 point we were cutting through 2 inches of lead...

the saw is a generic Delta ($200 at Lowes) and I put on a 3/8" blade to help with blade deflection…

I also had to replace the blade side/side plastic guides with shim stock that I ground to fit (used the same grinding trick we used to turn our wheels this year).

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Mr C
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr C »

Another issue are the blade guides. Some bandsaws use blocks to brace the blade left & right to prevent drift, as well as one in the rear of the blade, better saws use sealed bearings that can take increased pressure from harder materials being pushed through.

If you chose to cut metal- push the the piece though slower than normal
when making tight turns, predrill in the area to prevent binding the blade.
also as with any bandsawing, it may be nessasary to make relief cuts to ease tight radius'.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gotquestion wrote:The owners manual says no but, I don't know of that is the engineer or the lawyer talking.
I'm late to this thread, but my understanding is that manufacturers discourage cutting metal and wood on the same machine because sparks from the metal may ignite sawdust in the saw.
rdeis wrote:I have a basic 10" Delta bandsaw and have cut 1/4" aluminim bar stock using a metal cutting blade.
I have also cut thin aluminum and lead with a 10" bandsaw. The manufacture's recommended "metal cutting blade" was actually their fine-toothed wood-cutting blade.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:
gotquestion wrote:The owners manual says no but, I don't know of that is the engineer or the lawyer talking.
I'm late to this thread, but my understanding is that manufacturers discourage cutting metal and wood on the same machine because sparks from the metal may ignite sawdust in the saw.
I believe that you are correct. If you first clean out all of the sawdust from inside the saw, then that hazard should go away.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.