Workshop

How to have useful construction workshops.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Workshop

Post by ohiofitter »

What tools am I missing to put on a workshop

1) Ban saw and coping saws belt sander for shaping the car

2) files and assortment of sandpapers for axles and wheels

3) area to paint.maybe bring you own...or just red,white,blue,black,and a few other colors....7 tops.

4) hand drill and pro body tool for new axle slots...make it available

5) torch for lead weight

6) test area for alignment
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Workshop

Post by sporty »

scroll saw, drills, dremels, glue. hot melt gun & glue, epoxy glue.

newspaper, masking tape

seems to be needed the most.

lead, weight seems to be needed the most and spare wheels, blocks and axles.

I don't know if i would melt the weight around the kids.

wire cutters, snips, seems to work best to just cut and glue in or on.

hope these help some,

Sporty
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We use molten lead, but we use it in an adults-only area, and we use an electric furnace with a spigot to melt and pour the lead. The kids pass their cars over the fence, and once the lead is cool to the touch, we pass the car back over the fence.

The advantage of molten lead is that it is easy to weight many cars during a single workshop. This assumes that your block has an undercut slot already routed, ready to accept the lead, as ours do. I wouldn't want to use it if I had to melt it with a torch though. Without the electric furnace and spigot, I'd have the kids pound lead chunks to an appropriate shape, and then have them epoxy the chunks into place. Or maybe I'd switch to using pennies for weight.

Keep the kids away from the band saw too.

A big cardboard box makes a great spray booth for painting. A trigger handle that snaps onto spray paint cans is very helpful, and makes it much easier for small hands to use spray paint. A cheap turntable makes it easy to get all sides of the car, and small paper cups make effective platforms to raise the block when you're painting it.

We also provide lube at our workshops.

A handful of pencils will be useful early on, when the kids are drawing their designs on their blocks.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I have extra carbide weight for people to use. I have sheet lead but would never melt it due to the dangers involved.

Painting, lubing or alignment are not done in our workshops due to time constraints.

I have 3 drill presses. 1 for sanding/polishing wheels & axles, 1 with a sanding drum on it, and 1 with an XY table & milling cutter for weight pockets.

I made a cheap dust collector from an $11 box fan (Wal-Mart) and a $7 20" sq. x 1" thick furnace filter, 2 pieces of duct tape hold it on.