How to pay for all the tools in your workshop.

How to have useful construction workshops.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How to pay for all the tools in your workshop.

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Tools can cost a lot of money... especially if you only use them for building PWD cars. Sure that's what you bought all those tools for but they can also save you thousands of dollars around the home and pay for themselves over and over again. It would be interesting to see what people here use their tools for in the off season... share some photos, leave a few tool tips... it might make it easier for a aspiring pine head to justify buying that new scroll saw he was looking at.

aspiring pine head, "hey honey, come check this out... wouldn't this look great if we did something like this in the kitchen?"
..._/""\__........~_o__............../""""\__.....~_o\__...........//[3].[4].[1].[2]\\.......MASTER
_"O----O-"____"O""-O"~_____"-O----O"___-O----O"____[]____________[]___PINEHEAD
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How to pay for all the tools in your workshop.

Post by AlabamaDan »

I'm trying to talk my wife into a mini-lathe, but she's not buying it.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

AlabamaDan wrote:I'm trying to talk my wife into a mini-lathe, but she's not buying it.
You need an "occasion"! Tell her, "I'm tired of ties and socks for Christmas and birthday. What I really want is this model _____ lathe that ______ sells. (fill in the blanks) And it is on sale now! Besides, if you really think that I need socks with fewer than three holes each, you can get me some with the savings from the lathe!" (Yes, I know that it fails the "male logic" test, but consider the audience.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

That is how I got an air compressor! :mrgreen:
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

AlabamaDan wrote:That is how I got an air compressor! :mrgreen:
Well, it is a proven strategy! Did you get the new socks, too?

Time is on your side. But she won't know if you don't tell her.

Another part of the strategy is what you say if the item is too expensive for the occasion ... "I've saved up $_____ for this _________, but I'm short _________ (an appropriate amount). Do you think that would be about right for my birthday???"
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

If the Harbor Freight mini lathe is on your wish list, they come out with frequent 15% off and sometimes even 20% off coupons. Then you can use the reasoning "But honey, think of all the money that I saved!".
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

I keep trying to figure out how to get one of those 15 -20 % coupons...I'm on the mailing list and I even get email, but I've never gotten one of those here in Houston. What list am I not on?
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Kenny, I am on list but it has been a while since last 20%er for me too.

I suspect there may be a local and national level items that go out. So next time at HF - ask to signup there too.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Kenny, I am on list but it has been a while since last 20%er for me too.
I haven't seen a 20% off one lately, but I have heard of them showing up in magazines.

I originally got on the mailing list by filling out the form at a HF store.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

I was a clunky woodworker before PWD came along. So actually for me, PWD has been the selling excuse reason - to help 'teach our son' the ways of the shop. :roll: :roll:

Had a small drill press, but had to get bigger (and more precise) for PWD.
Had a small belt sander, but had to get another oscillating spindle for safer kid-use in PWD shaping.
Didn't have a band saw, duh essential for PWD. Well after upgrading the blocks, stand, and blade...eek.

Have bought several things to then turn around and make stands/jigs/guards that um help the kids work safer, etc.

Other than not being able to park in the garage, my SWMBO likes us boys hanging out in the shop.
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

Well, not in the "off season" (like we actually take time "off" from pinewood derby ) but I use some of my tools as a sort of "mobile pinewood derby workshop" for hire. O.K. , I don't really get paid but I do resale(at cost) a few kits and get a donation once in a while. I run the saw on the tailgate in the back of my truck and the sander on a stand beside the truck. All planning/drawing is done inside, along with hand sanding and axle/wheel prep. I also bring my "pit boxes" full of weights, add ons & decals(all free for the taking). When everyone leaves they have: a cut-out car, some kind of idea of the finished design, enough weight(guessed) to get close to 5oz, and decals if wanted. The day of the derby(s), I'm back with the pit boxes and run the weight-in part of check-in. Again, all weight is free. I have a ready supply of 1/4oz stick-on ones and trim to meet 5.0(if they want). Most people have weight with them and use mine and donate their's to me. I do this for a couple packs and our disct. For years(4) I've been saying that they don't pay me enough and should include dinner in my bonus package. :eager:

As far as paying for the equip. I cut out birdhouses, book shelves, step stools & derby car stands for some packs. They get them from me in kit form for the cost of wood/screws +a little something for my time.

I also have been making hiking/walking sticks and canes to sale. So far I've just traded them for supplies and used them as gifts.
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

I actually reached out to our community, specifically to 3 of the largest company's. I just merely put together a letter describing what the Pack was wanting to do, added that we would put together a sponsor banner and have it up at all races. I got $500 from each of them. I was told by two of them, that all I have to do is resubmit another letter and I would be able to receive more next year if I needed it. I also made it clear it was a gift from them and not a tax write off.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Scoutfrog's comments sound very familiar, it's about the same thing I do! All my benchtop tools are on those universal tool stands from HFT (20% coupon in Sunday's paper) I added wooden shelves at top, middle and bottom plus casters. I can fit 4x into my truck bed, and go put on a workshop.

My woodworking started BEFORE PWD. My wife got tired of buying cheap particle board furniture. She asked for bookcases, quilt rack, walking stick, shelves and more shelves etc... Next up is an oak TV stand with doors and all. And more projects are lined up after that. She loves the pieces I make. We also scour auctions, pawnshops and yard sales for needed tools.

And so many of the tools are 'dual-purpose'. Specialized PWD tools (#44 drill bits etc) come out of my 'Tool Allowance' throughout the year. X amount is set aside, no questions asked, and I usually have the supplies/tools I need.

This year's tax return included big benefits from our move, house purchase etc... So we are shopping for a lathe!
I plan on turning pens/pencils bowls etc... Probably gifts for family, then charge when I get a bit better.

Yes, I'm looking for a PWD or Scout pen kit.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Rod Turnbull wrote:Tools can cost a lot of money... especially if you only use them for building PWD cars. Sure that's what you bought all those tools for but they can also save you thousands of dollars around the home and pay for themselves over and over again. It would be interesting to see what people here use their tools for in the off season... share some photos, leave a few tool tips... it might make it easier for a aspiring pine head to justify buying that new scroll saw he was looking at.

aspiring pine head, "hey honey, come check this out... wouldn't this look great if we did something like this in the kitchen?"
I know this is an older post started buy Ron Turnbull,
Yes tools can be very costly if only used for makeing pinewood derby cars.

I thought it would be a change of pace for me to share a photo of a craft i do to justify how i payed for the dewalt scroll and alot of the woodworking tools
i've payed for threw my craft,or wood working projects.

This is a photo of a Chuckwagon carving I did back in 2006.
From there the craft took off... and the scroll saw set on the kitchen table for the longest time.

From there it led me to help a friend and his son build there first pwd car and mine.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

whoda - your work continues to amaze...