Pinewood Derby Workshop last Sunday

How to have useful construction workshops.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Pinewood Derby Workshop last Sunday

Post by murphken »

We had a pinewood derby workshop at our house last Sunday for our Cub Scouts. We started at 10:30 in the morning and the last Cub Scout left at 7:00PM at night. We built eight cars.

We cut the bodies, prepared the wheels, drilled the holes for extended wheelbase, drilled holes for lead, inserted and glued the weights. Sanded and added wood putty to the body. We will have a second workshop to help the rest of the Cubs who did not participate and help the other scouts align their cars.

We only used two different designs for body construction. I asked the scouts if they wanted to go for looks or speed. All the dads told their Cubs to go for speed! We designed and added weights for a COM @ approximately 1".

It will interesting to see if we get tighter racing this year. Last year, the results of the cars were all over the place. I told our pack that our goal is for our one of our Cubs to win District. Now, my Cub needs some support in making his car!
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby Workshop last Sunday

Post by Stan Pope »

Wow! What a long day!

As a Cubmaster, I was delighted if all my reps at district finished in the top quarter and a few got a racing trophy... ANY racing trophy at district. They accomplished my "all in top quarter" goal once or twice, and quite a few earned racing trophies over the years.

We could send 4 Cubs from each grade and most from my pack who seriously wanted to race at district could earn a place.

"All in top quarter" was a bit iffy, since they raced double elimination format. My criteria was that all 16 or 20 (after Tigers were added) were "still racing" when the number not eliminated had been pared to 1/4 of those who started. Best grade showing was when 3 of the last four undefeated 5th grade Webelos were from my Webelos den. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"