PowerPoint presentation on PWD Design / Construction

How to have useful construction workshops.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

PowerPoint presentation on PWD Design / Construction

Post by Stan Pope »

I am preparing a PowerPoint presentation on PWD Design / Construction that is aimed at youngsters and parents. It is to replace a 35mm slide show that I've used for 8 or 10 years.

The target date is our Nov 1 POW WOW, but should be available prior to that. My inteneiton is to share the presentation and notes for use in pack settings. If you want a copy, leave me an email address and request.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: PowerPoint presentation on PWD Design / Construction

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Stan,
I have tried for the last four years to have a pwd workshop for our Pack but have only had a father-son team show up. I usually type up some notes every year and hand them out with the pwd cars but have found that most people need something visual to go be. I have thought of doing s short video or something that the boys can take home but so far lack the equipment (someone broke the video camera!). A copy of your PP presentation would be most helpful and welcomed. Please send me a copy when you get it completed.

Da Graphite Kid
(Greg Walters)
gwalters@techsonic.com
:P
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:I usually type up some notes every year and hand them out with the pwd cars but have found that most people need something visual to go be.
At our "derby kick-off" meeting, I explain the construction process, and we send home a flier. The flier came from CSB, and includes drawings of each stage of the process.

A few years ago, I built a series of oversized demonstration blocks (originally cut from a cheap 2x4), each in a different stage of completion. As I explain each step of the process, I hold up the corresponding demo block so everyone can see.

Actually, I start with a trick question: "What's the first step in building a derby car?" The answer is that first you think of a design. So I start by showing the finished car, explaining that this is the idea in my head. Then I show the plain block. The process makes more sense if you have some idea of where you're going before you start.

Then I demonstrate the following steps:
  • Draw the design on paper. (I have oversized design templates on card stock, one blank and the other with the design drawn on it.)
  • Copy the design to the block. (Actually, this is just the other side of the plain block, the one I wasn't showing them earlier. :) )
  • Cut the block to the basic shape.
  • Shape and smooth the block. (I chose a design at included some built-up areas, where a little extra wood had to be added for this step.)
  • Prime the block.
  • Paint the block.
  • Add any decorations, and add the wheels.
There are other steps, but I don't try to demonstrate them with the oversized blocks. I just describe them briefly at the appropriate point.
tlz_allen
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by tlz_allen »

Stan,

I'd love to see what you have as far as a PPT presentation is concerned.

I am currently in charge of what is becoming known as the Timothy Cup. It is sponsored by Raceway Ministries here in California, and is in the process of moving nationwide with the NASCAR race series. Our cars come pre-cut, so all of the racers have the same basic design with minimal alterations. So while our "construction workshop" would be substantially less dificult, I think a well-thought-out presentation would be very helpful.

I'd love a copy if you make one available.

Tim
Tim Allen
Fellowship in the Pass
Timothy Cup Race Director
Beaumont, CA
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

darin_mcgrew wrote:A few years ago, I built a series of oversized demonstration blocks (originally cut from a cheap 2x4), each in a different stage of completion. As I explain each step of the process, I hold up the corresponding demo block so everyone can see.
I did something similar. I took regular car kits and built a display that showed the car in various stages of completion. I used this whenever selling the car kits and at each of our workshops. It has been a great visual aid, and I think it even helps encourage participation with the first timers.

Now, returning to the topic. I'd be interested in a copy of the presentation too. We do hold a kickoff that having a presentation or video would be helpful for.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The good news is that the first draft is done.

The bad news is that some of the drawings which I put on 35mm slides have gone into hiding.

The good news is that I was able to recreate enough to make a meaningful, if not complete, program.

The bad news is that the PP file is 12M (so far).

I'll try to find a place to post it ... as is. and hope to finish the job in the next month.

Whee!
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The presentation went fairly well yesterday. Some tweaks needed ... hope to finish the critical ones today. Still kinda groggy from a verrrry long day at PowWow yesterday.

Barb and a friend did Native American Crafts. Her materials nearly filled the old Aerostar. I had two tubs plus odds and ends for my morning Leaning on a Stick work shop and a CD, backup slide carousel and box of PW stuff for my afternoon PW sessions. Lotsa hand truck loads to get it all into the PowWow site... and back out again when we were done!

I used Open Office to construct the presentation and then export to PPS. Some export issues that I had to deal with ... graphics orientations, fonts and sizes, etc. But, in the end, the results looked like it had been developed on MS PPT. (I'm so glad that I had another PC here at home to check the exporting!) It played back fine using the PPS software that was already on some machines that don't know anything about Open Office. So, you should be able to run it pretty easily.
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

For now... posted at http://www.wotamalo.org/pwdesign.pps
Size: 10.8M
Stan
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Stan,
In case others try it get the same thing...
I tried to view your pwd PPS by using the link you had in your message but just got garbage. So I had to click on it and "Save Link Target As..." to my hard drive and than run it off mt PC.

By the way, excellant presentation!!!
:mrgreen:

Da Graphite Kid
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thank you, DGK,

I sent an email to everyone I could find in my inbox who had requested a copy. It appears (for some of us) that "save as" from an email message doesn't work the same as from a web page, so I added a small page at
http://www.wotamalo.org/pwdesign.htm
from which right-click / save-as should work normally.

I will probably do another revision in a few weeks to pick up loose ends. If you intend to use the program, I suggest grabbing a copy now. (I don't know how long I can keep using 10M+ on the district website!) Then, shortly before your program, check back to see if it has been updated.
Stan
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

tlz_allen wrote:I am currently in charge of what is becoming known as the Timothy Cup. It is sponsored by Raceway Ministries here in California, and is in the process of moving nationwide with the NASCAR race series.
Tim
My son are huge NASCAR fans and scouters. My wife and I plan on treating him to a NASCAR race this year. I would like to hear more about the "Timothy Cup", do you have a website ? :pray:
Sylvar
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Sylvar »

Stan,
I am preparing for our PWD workshop (not till January, but I want to get a head start on it). Your presentaion is no longer at the link posted above. Is it posted somewhere else now? If not is there any way I could get a copy of it?

Thanks in advance!

Shane
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

It needs reworking ... it will be a few weeks before I can address it.

If you can live with it as is, give me an addy and I'll email it. If you have a month or so before you need it, send me an email at the time and I'll send the latest that I have.

I've got a BB connection now ... not too fast transmit side, but faster than before. :)
Stan
rich b
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rich b »

Stan, has there been any recent updates to the presentation? Our workshop is on Feb 3 and I was hoping to be able to use thsi presentation.

thanks!

Rich Byrnes
Pack 1916 CM
Michigami District
Detroit Area Council
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

It needs a page or two on lubrication. You can tell 'em that. If you want it, send me an email with an address that can accept a 10.5MB attachment.
Stan