Summer Camp

How to have useful construction workshops.
redshift
Apprentice
Apprentice

Summer Camp

Post by redshift »

Hi,
I have been asked to do a camp for a local school. I would like to do derby cars as I have a track to use. It will be a week long camp and I will have children k-5 for 3 hours each day. All construction will be done at the school. I was wondering about car kits, I have only use BSA kits, are there and pros or cons of different kits? And any other advice on easy construction tips, or the like, is more than welcome.
Thanks
Ryan
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Summer Camp

Post by rpcarpe »

How fun!
I'm a big fan of the BSA kits, but they do require more tools and time than you might have available.
Another option would be Pinecar kits, available at hobby stores.
There's a Hobby Lobby near Church Hill TN.
1905 North Eastman Road
Kingsport, TN 37660
(423) 246-2118

Pinecar supplies include pre-shaped kits. You could spend most of the time putting on finishing touches, sanding, painting, stickers etc... Axles are one-piece, simpler than BSA.
Hope that helps.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

We had one pack that used the Revell( BSA )pre-cut kits this year from Hobby Town,they gave them a discount on 30 kits the cost was around $7.50 EA.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

The Shape N Race kits use the same wheels and axles that CSB uses, with a block shaped like the BSA kit. The wheels and axles don't require much work at all, which would be a big help if you've got lots of novice builders to help during your workshops.

I do not like the Pinecar kits with the single-piece axles with plastic hubcaps at each end. We had a lot of problems with the hubcaps popping off. Also, there is more friction between the plastic wheel and the plastic hubcap than between a plastic wheel and a steel axle head (leading to more cars not crossing the finish line).
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Also, with 3 hour workshops, don't expect everyone to be working for 3 hours. First, most of the kids won't have that kind of an attention span. Second, many of the steps in the construction process need time to dry/cure before they can continue with the next step.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

How many kids?

How much equipment do you have?

3 hours a day, 5 days a week? That's alot of time. Of course you'd want Fri to be race day, so it's really 3 hours a day 4 days a week. That's still alot of time. Unless you're modifying wheels you could do it.

Day 1 - Cut and Shape and Sand Body
Day 2 - Paint and Polish Axles
Day 3 - Paint more, polish axles and wheels more
Day 4 - Assemble axles and wheels, alignment, last touches
Day 5 - RACE!

You'll probably need more helpers.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

We use Maximum Velocity's kits for our local Girl Scout races. The block is the same as the BSA kits and they come with PineCar Wheels. The axles are nice as well, because they are machined pins and don't require a lot of work to polish. They are also cheaper than the BSA kits so we have more budget money to spend on trophies and awards.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
redshift
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by redshift »

Thanks for all the help. I will have some helpers, but they will not be knowledgeable in pinewood derby. I have many tools but would like to keep it simple as possible... I am not sure what I am getting into and do not want to get in to far over my head.
What are some good kid safe weighting options? Something tells me melting lead may not be the best :o
Thanks again, you all have been a big help.
Ryan
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

redshift wrote:What are some good kid safe weighting options?
How much can you spend on weight?

If you have to buy weight, one of the cheapest sources of weight is pennies. You should be able to bring the cars up to 5.0oz for less than $0.50 each. Plus, they fit nicely into a 3/4" hole.

You can also use commercial derby weights, fishing weights, scrap metal, etc.

Be careful with the choice of paint. If you're painting on Wednesday and racing on Friday, then you don't want to provide paints that take 72 hours to cure. Actually, with painting on Wednesday and weigh-in on Thursday, even a 24-hour cure would be too long.

If any of the paint is still soft, then it might be wise to avoid graphite. I've become a fan of Krytox 100. A bottle of Krytox 100 is relatively expensive compared to a bottle, can, or tube of many other lubricants. But a bottle of Krytox 100 lasts forever when used to lubricate derby cars, because you use only a few tiny drops per car.

You may not be able to rely on your helpers for anything other than monitoring safety, but it's still a good idea to teach them the basics. And by basics, I mean things that determine whether a car makes it down the track, not things that make a car a winner.