Den 5 Pack 48. Troop 5455 Chesapeake, VA workshop.

How to have useful construction workshops.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Den 5 Pack 48. Troop 5455 Chesapeake, VA workshop.

Post by tgrimstead »

:whew: Pictures from our first workshop. The wifey was brave enough to hold the axle presses. The kids were very interested in the designing. Check out the mom on the band saw!

rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Den 5 Pack 48. Troop 5455 Chesapeake, VA workshop.

Post by rpcarpe »

Excellent! Looks like the kind of participation I hope for in a few hours when I help a Dad and his two Cubs.
Keep up the good work.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Very Nice!
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Agreed, nice setup. If you ever take it to a larger audience consider locking the hand drill in a vice or a Workmate bench as a safety precaution, when having them polish the axles. I read a statistic that more than 99% of all power tool accidents are caused by free moving, hand held power tools. Keeping the tools locked down and stationary will greatly reduce those chances. Also, consider making a rule that all long hair should be tied back when working around the power tools. Trying to get someone's hair unstuck from a spinning power tool is the pits and very scary to the victum when it happens (even if they aren't injured).

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

Thanks for the tips Nitro. Good call on the long hair! :wall: Forgot that that happened to a kid in my high school shop class. Agreed on the clamps. Think next time I will lay the drills on their sides and clamp the batteries to the bench with some quick-clamps. I was stressing the lack of safety glasses. One day you have a drawer full. Then when you need them, you can't find but one pair. :eek:
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Rather than use a hand drill to polish the axles, at our workshops we use a variable speed dremel motor tool (running on the slowest setting) that is clamped in one end of a portable B&D Workmate vice bench. Black and Decker Workmate vice benches aren't all that expensive and they make a nice (and safe) axle polishing station. We even wrap some heavy duty duct tape around the Workmate and the Dremel in case the vice bench ever slipped its grip, the Dremel wouldn't go anywhere.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I like the idea of clamping the drill or dremel for axle polishing in the vice/bench. I have one of those wasn't sure how to best use it. When it's just one team working axles, I have them use the drill press. But we're increasing capacity at the workshop... THANKS!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.