Kid friendly polishing.

How to have useful construction workshops.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Kid friendly polishing.

Post by tgrimstead »

Doubt that I'm the first to come up with this :idk: . We needed some craft sticks for backing of our axle polishing paper. My daughter found a big bag of colored sticks at the Dollar Store. Seeing how it's hard for the kids to see the difference in the fine grit papers ( most are black.) We used a color coded system by gluing the colored sticks to the back of the sandpaper with a glue stick. Then separating the sheet with a razor blade. We went from 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, to 2000 grit. One of each was placed in a snack bag and given to our scouts with a direction sheet. - Tim

rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Kid friendly polishing.

Post by rpcarpe »

Here I was.... writing the grit numbers on the back of little strips of sandpaper.

:thumbup: I like the color code. Do you get some help on the gluing/cutting process?
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

rpcarpe wrote: Do you get some help on the gluing/cutting process?

;) It would actually make a good Den activity. My daughters glue stick'd and i did the razoring myself. After they were glued, We stuck them between some books for some compression to dry.
The kids really like them. Makes it easier for them to handle on a chucked axle. Also keeps the paper flat on the nail surface for an even shine. We used them to polish the inner-wheel facing as well.
If you didn't have dyed sticks you could simply color the tips with magic marker.
-Tim
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Curiosity... how high of grit sandpaper to get up to? And where'd ya get it?
I have a hard time finding higher than 2K on the shelf.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

rpcarpe wrote:Curiosity... how high of grit sandpaper to get up to? And where'd ya get it?
I have a hard time finding higher than 2K on the shelf.
Yes. Or issue as well. We go from 150 (for burrs) 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, and 2000grit. Then we go to Polish paper in microns (5,3,1,0.3) OR jewelers polishes on a Dremel ( their choice.)

You can get the 3M polishing paper sheets online.

-Tim
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Thanks!
I'll have to look at 3M again, last time I looked on-line I didn't find the polishing papers.

We've been using a file for burrs/crimps. Then 400 - 50K (I think that's the 0.3 micron).

Most of the kids this year took to polishing once we showed them the burrs/crimps and a nicely polished axle. A bit of parental supervision and a double check on the axle before we moved above 2K.