Cut and weight

How to have useful construction workshops.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Cut and weight

Post by Noskills »

Hi All,

I am hosting the PWD car cut night for my den. I plan to download some designs from this site to get some ideas going and also to download the basic wedge. I would also like to drill out a hole for some 3/8th in lead rod to get each car to just under 5 oz prior to leaving my garage.

For the average bulky cub car can I get away with drilling 1-2 3/8th holes and filling with lead rod? (with then cover with wood putty).

I may plan a second speed clinic but for the first 60 min shop I just want to cut, provide sandpaper and files and add some weight.

Anything I am missing?

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Cut and weight

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote: ...to get each car to just under 5 oz prior to leaving my garage... can I get away with drilling 1-2 3/8th holes and filling with lead rod? (with then cover with wood putty).
It has been quite a while since we worked with 3/8" lead wire, but I seem to recall...
  • 1. You'll need a hole slightly larger than 3/8" (e.g., 25/64") to accommodate 3/8" wire.
    2. When bringing a wedge up to 5 ounces, we usually needed more than 4" of lead wire, which required 3 holes (drilled laterally), not just one or two.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

FS is correct. A 25/64" drill bit is needed. A fast way to get a car finished is mark the drill so it doesn't go all the way through the car. You will then have to fill only 3 holes. Put a little body filler in the holes to keep them from rattling, push in the rod and fill the hole. When the filler reaches its spongy stage cut it with a razor blade. Scuff the holes lightly with 80 grit and you're done. The rear wheel will pretty much hide 2 of the holes and after painting you can barely see the outline of the holes. Filler can be purchased from Walmart. Try to get a gallon size tube of hardener. Hopefully you will have some adult help. Good Luck.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thanks for the tip on the larger sized bit. That makes sense. I made a sword for my son in the office season and it was a bear ro get the 3/8 oak plugs into the handle after using a 3/8th drill bit.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite