Bandsaw Jig

How to have useful construction workshops.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bandsaw Jig

Post by gpraceman »

So, I've been thinking for awhile about a safe way to let the kids (with adult assistance, of course) use a band saw safely for cutting out their cars. A band saw can more easily cut the block of wood than a scroll saw. The big issue is the safety aspect.

With our Awana Grand Prix workshops coming up, I thought that I would make a cutting jig. Below is what I came up with. It is made out of some left over oak. T-tracks allow for adjustable stops to hold the block in place. Two knobs help for guiding while cutting and keeping hands well away from the blade. It also has spoil boards (1/4" press board) which can be changed out when they get too cut up. Not bad, I think, for a first try. However, I will likely redesign how the end stops work, to keep them from getting in the way so much during cutting. Rev 2 may be coming soon.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bandsaw Jig

Post by ngyoung »

Looks good. The profile cut is the hardest for a scroll saw to do. Dad may have to take over once enough is cut away where the jig can't hold it anymore but at least the kid gets to do a majority of it.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

So, here's Rev2. Simpler design and the slimmer end clamps are less likely to get in the way of cutting. I just need to get some round knobs, as the current ones stick out too far. I'll have to do some cutting now to see just how well it works out.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Can you post some pictures of it "in action" (with a body being cut)?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I'm with FS on this !
(But I hope it's a car body he is talking about!) ;)
This jig would also be handy for the kids to try useing it on the older woodworking machinery as well.

like a vintage 24" Craftsman straind rigid arm jig/scroll saw that uses coping saw blades.

Thought I'd post a photo to show that there are different types of scroll saws as well.
This type of jig/scroll saw was used most from the 1920 -1980's.
Un-like the fast cutting of the band saw.. it will cut thicker woods as well.

Thank's for posting your bandsaw jig Randy.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a couple of photos from our workshop on Saturday. Overall, the jig helped quite a bit. There are some cuts that the scroll saw is still better for, like tight curves, but the band saw cuts those gentle curves and straight lines much faster and easier.

I did use some plywood to extend the table out a bit. That made sure that the jig was on a flat surface, even when cutting the block lengthwise. A couple of C clamps held that in place.

A mom cutting her car out:

A mom helping her son cut his car:

Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I'm looking forward to making one of these jigs for the bandsaw.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Very nice.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We had our 2nd workshop yesterday and the jig was again a big help.

I stripped the T-track off of the first jig that I made, so it was just the Oak L with the spoil boards and holding knobs. That made for a good simple pusher for some cuts that were not as easy with the clamp-in jig.
Randy Lisano