Drilling Pilot holes in slots w/ Pro- Body Jig

How to have useful construction workshops.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The Pro-Body Jig can be made to act like the Pro-Body Tool || by simply raising the block in the jig 0.080. The pilot hole will be in the same place as if you drilled it with the Pro-Body Tool ||. This would work well if there is a "4 on the ground" rule. A raised wheel is more difficult. It can be done but one of the holes has to be split. I was successful drilling the hole but with heavy use I doubt it's going to last very long. If this area was made in steel it might work well.
I bought a piece of wood at Pat Catan's Arts & craft Store that measures 0.063 x 1" by 24". A piece of Duct tape on each side of the wood will give you 0.080, or something mighty, mighty close. I think for my use in the workshops I'll use 3 of the holes on the jig and then drill the raised hole with the Pro-Body Tool ||. Since it's a raised hole and not all that important, I see no reason to clamp the tool, especially if you're in a hurry. If you are patient and sand the wood carefully there will be no need to glue the pieces or install double face tape. Doing so will change the position of the holes. Without making this permanent the tool can easily be changed back to its original intended purpose. I'm sure there are more ways to arrive at 0.080 but wood is cheap. If you want to try doing this and can't find the wood, email me.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Drilling Pilot holes in slots w/ Pro- Body Jig

Post by Gtdhw »

Only question I have, is.....What is the negative to running the raised holes? Granted you have to leave some more wood up front with a raised wheel & super thin body, but does dropping the car body an 1/8" help or hurt it any way speed wise? (especially on tracks with low/no center rails)
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Scouts who are required to use the slots cannot use the jig as it is. Slots have to be visible. If you are required to have 4 on the ground you can barely get by with the jig as it is. If you are allowed to run a 3 wheeler you will be drilling all wood and you will be illegal under those District rules, one of which is ours, The Commodore Perry district and all Districts in the Erie Council. That is why the Jig needs to be brought back to where the Pro-Body Tool || sets the height. I wanted to make the jig drill all holes, raised wheel included , so I could speed up things in our busy workshops. I'm hoping I can have the area drilled out and plugged with a steel plug that will raise the hole and enable me to drill all four holes without removing the jig from the clamps. I will pursue getting this accomplished.

March 3, 2016
After giving the raised wheel problem much thought I decided to file in half, including the Head, an .086 axle made in China. I inserted it into a stock hole in the jig and with a #44 drill bit drilled out the aluminum to make a round hole. I used No Sag Super Glue to secure the nail in the hole. Drilling this hole will raise a wheel 1/16". The jig can now be used to drill slots for a 3 wheeler without removing the clamps.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,
You could also use the pro axle guide and a #44 drill bit with a pen vise to drill holes In the slots.

Don't know if this better way of doing it with out splitting out the stock slots or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

There are several ways to get what you want and they are all good. I want to drill all slots with one hole raised and do it from start to finish in less then 30 seconds. This will allow you to do it. This tool will be used in our workshops because of the time savings. Several people have asked, "Can you drill slots with the jig". Yes, just by raising the car. If a racer is building a very special car, no, I would do it a different way.