Maximum Velocity 5460 wheel and axle experts

How to have useful construction workshops.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Maximum Velocity 5460 wheel and axle experts

Post by Speedster »

A friend and I are helping 40 children assemble cars for a race. There are no Cub Scouts involved in this race. The cars are all wedge shape, weight holes drilled, and have been purchased by the sponsor. I will weight the cars with lead. The children will paint and decorate the cars whatever way they choose. Maximum Velocity 5460 MV wheels and axles have also been purchased. They have a blunt end. I'm looking for the fastest, easiest way to install the wheels and axles into stock slots. We are going to try to paint and decorate the cars in one day, force dry them if we can, and install the wheels and axles. The cars will then be kept by the sponsor until race day. I have no experience installing a blunt axle.
Any suggestions for speed on any part of this operation will be most appreciated. I'm happy to weight and balance the cars but I'd prefer to have help installing the wheels and axles. Thank You.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Maximum Velocity 5460 wheel and axle experts

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,

Max -v- axle 5460..
Shaft 0.087 inch+ -0.0005
Shaft 1 inch long
Material Zinc -Coated.
No burs to remove .. Just polish axle!

To install the blunt tip axle with wheels..(It might be faster)
To use the DW pro axle guide and a pointed tip nail type axle first to open the slot. :idk:

You can install the blunt end axle as well with the guide..
But as you know.. there is also a chance of cracking out the slot with the blunt tip.
Same go's for the BSA axle if the burs not filed off the tip..(it's like a chisel into the slot!)

You can always take a file to the blunt end of the axle to make a cone shape first!

Don't know how fast this could be done.. so maybe 2 work stations will be needed in the work shop.
One to round over the blunt end axles.. and the next to install wheels & axles into the slots with the axle guide.

I know why you are avoiding doing this step with a blunt axle! ;)

It's never fun when a notch or slot brakes after the car has been painted while trying to installing wheels and axles.

So you might look into opening the slots / notches as the very first step to the blocks.

To make things run smoother at the work shop after the cars are painted & weighted..
for the blunt axles + wheel installs .

GOOD LUCK Speedster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The key is to insert the axle straight. From an installation viewpoint, whether the axle is blunt or pointed makes no difference. Blunt tips do not cause the wood to crack, in fact pointed axles are more prone to this as the axle is swollen right above the chisel point.

I recommend:

1. Keep paint out of the slots.
2. Use a Pro-Axle Guide to install the axles.

If you do this, you will be fine.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank you. I will do as suggested.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

When we've provided pre-cut blocks to kids (generally to the youngest age groups, pre-2nd), we've had the person pre-cutting the blocks use a drill press to pre-press the axle holes. When the car is finished, it's much easier to press the axles into the pre-pressed axle holes.