Workshop for the Discipline Impaired?

How to have useful construction workshops.
oldfordsrule
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Workshop for the Discipline Impaired?

Post by oldfordsrule »

I thought I would survey the members of this forum for some advice-

Our pack usually has a very basic Pinewood seminar open to the entire pack. The seminar does not include a 'hands-on' workshop with tools. I have always set up a workshop for my oldest son's den that includes most if not all of the necessary power and hand tools. I always man the bandsaw and assign other capable parents to the drill press, electric coping saw, and other power tools. Though the group is large at 12 boys, they are good kids and the parent helpers always have control of their station. The boys are respectful to our leader and to me, the assistant.

My quandary arises from how to handle my younger son's den. I would like to offer the workshop to his den as well. This is another large group, with about 12-14 eight year-olds. Most of them have outstanding behavior, but nearly half have significant problems with self-control. I recently led a den meeting that covered proper use of hand tools. Though we broke into smaller groups, some of the boys had a serious lack of control and nearly hurt others or themselves with items such as a screwdriver. Teaching our challenging ones how to drive nails with a hammer virtually required one-on-one hands-on supervision to prevent injuries. Unfortunately, if the parents are present they rarely step in and help to keep their boys in line. :shake: We have great leaders and assistants, but they usually have their hands full.

I think Cub Scouts is an excellent venue for boys to learn many skills, including how to behave in a group. Though I would like to, I am a little reluctant to put this group in a room full of power tools and less than optimal adult supervision. Though the group was a little 'iffy' with hand tools, I feel good about that meeting and everyone walked away unscathed. However, I think combining power tools with poor parental supervision may be a recipe for disaster. Also, I don't think selective invitation would be fair.

Any suggestions or opinions would be most appreciated :D .
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Workshop for the Discipline Impaired?

Post by Stan Pope »

You are braver than I to get more than one youngster in there!

It is hard enough when you have just one parent and one youngster! You have to provide safety instruction to both of them and, then, provide enough supervision to assure that the instruction "took."

If you must go with a group, keep the power tools to a minimum ... maybe hand drill and either drill press or scroll saw, and focus on designs that can be accomplished with a hand coping saw (i.e. very thin - 1/4" thick - designs).

And put away (securely) any tools that won't be needed and unplug and hide the keys to power tools that won't be used.

My preference is for each team (dad-son or mother-son) to work each step together. Parent assisting/guiding, son's hands on the tools / parent's hands on the son's hands if needed until he learns the motions. This makes handling a large group very difficult.

All that said, you must do what is comfortable to you, because you know your people.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
oldfordsrule
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by oldfordsrule »

Stan,

Thanks for the advice. I think we had a change in plans that changes how I can help the younger group. While leading a Webelo den meeting tonight I was offered the services of our newest Cub's Grandfather who happens to have a woodworking shop. We have always put together a temporary shop at our normal meeting place, hauling in all the tools. I have avoided my using my workshop/garage as there are way too many distractions. As I won't be setting up the usual workshop/seminar, what I think I will do is check with the little guy's leader to see which families really need help and try to give them some individual attention.

Thanks again, Ed
Jthompson

Post by Jthompson »

We are conducting our first Pinewood Derby this February and I have set up 3 workshops to help parents and Scouts who may not have all the tools or knowhow to construct a car. The first clinic focuses on roughing out the car bodies, using a rasp and sandpaper, and initial weighing of cars to determine the amount of weight to add.

Can anyone offer advice on how they have set up this type of workshop to maintain control. How many Scout/Parent teams? Advice and parental control? Hands-on-hands techniques? What is the ideal size of a workshop?