So, what does your username mean?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: So, what does your username mean?

Post by PWD »

Well mine is rather obvious :lol: PWD is PineWood Derby. When I joined the forum I was thinking of something simple and was surprised I was able to get PWD
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

DocT is a Doctor. Young patients would call me Doc T it stuck.
SFG Racing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by SFG Racing »

The SFG Racing team got it's start about 7 years ago by the bunch of hooligans in the below photo. SFG stands for Short Fat Guy :D
I miss those guys allot. The one in the weird camouflage shirt is my oldest son Don. He is seventeen now, and graduates from high school next year. The one in the Suns jersey is my youngest son Josh. I only get one more year of sawdust with him.
:cry:
BTW this photo was taken in 2004.
Speedracr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Speedracr »

I was inspired by Racer X. I always loved the cartoon Speedracer as a kid. I used to pretend that I was Speed. My bed was Speed's car, the Mach 1. :wink: I chose spelling it with out the E, because I figured some one else already had it. PWD brings me back to being a kid again. :D
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

tmbnorm

In college, my younger brother had the self proclaimed nickname
"The Man". It was a play on James Bond, because we know that James is The Man.

I was a few lbs heavier and one of my friends jokingly called me Norm, as in Norm from Cheers.

To sum it up. I am The Man's Brother NORM.

TMBNORM
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

mokanmikey

mo (Missouri)
kan (Kansas)
mokan is a Kansas City name as we are on both states

Mikey

This name was given to me years ago when I would travel around the midwest going to Disc Golf Tournaments.

When ever someone from the KC area placed well at the tourneys we would all let out a big MOKAN cheer for our homies!!
Can we go camping yet?
frontosacam311
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by frontosacam311 »

frontosacam311 frontosa is a freshwater african cichlid , I have a colony of 8 in a 210gal aquarium. They are quite spendy. Cam- my name is Cameron 311, my favorite band of all time! Seen them live 6 times
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

No scouting or PWD story here.

Straight out of college as a green engineer, my first supervisor often referred to me as, "Naive Dave", mispronouncing naive to rhyme with Dave. Several years later, while trying to come up with a unique username, I replaced naive with knave to be knavedave. Unfortunately, that moniker was already taken. I tried several variations of knave???? before hitting on knavekid which was available. I have used it ever since.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

Gravity...what makes the cars go. Steve...my first name. How prosaic is that, in a forum like this?

A little history:

I have a BSc. in Physics, and worked as a mechanic for many years- I can fix anything from lawn mowers to bull dozers, drill presses to welding torches. I used to drag race, but that's way deep pockets, so I quit. Sort of. When the kids came along, I was absolutely going to be a Boy Scout leader (did it for 15 years), and I fell right into the PWD deal, building my own tracks and everything- even ran Derby Day several years running for our District. I mightily resisted building my kid's cars, because that's just wrong. But, showing them what to do, and letting THEM do it is really worth it!

edit to add: Now, I work as an engineer, and my car is fastest at the company PWD. 8)
Mr C
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mr C »

Real simple:
Charles is WAY too formal, easy for the scouts to remember.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

um... er..... yea.... any questions? LOL

Nicholas
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Well.. mine is somewhat work related. My day job is that of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of a large law firm. Dude came from one of the very blogs I was writing on. It was a blog of a good friend I hadnt seen in some time (she is the ultimate california surfer girl type) and so 'dude' seemed only right. Thus "CIOdude'. I have used this 'name' in most of my non professional on-line activities.
High Five
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by High Five »

High is the first part of my last name, and Five is the number of kids I have :shock: , 4 boys, 1 girl. 2 current and 3 future scouts, hehe. :mrgreen:
High Five
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

Tesla_HV wrote:Nikola Tesla, the greatest inventive genious of our time. I work with high-voltage system as they apply to high-power microwave transmitters. As a hobby, I am building a Tesla Coil in my basement to teach my sons the joys of high voltage. I work in one of the only fields where if you screw up, you die. It is actually quite safe if you know what you are doing and respect the equipment.

One of the guys I work with is building and tuning a Tesla coil. He's having some problem with modeling the higher-order modes (has a BScEE). Any pointers? By way of reference, he's running his power supply at 250 kHz and 3 volts to start. He has several coils to choose from, so he can adjust for impedance matching. I believe he's at about 15 microHenries at the moment. The thing is big enough that if someone walks into the room behind him, he sees it on his spectrum analyzer. The dude scares me a little...his is potentially lethal.
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

I build custom cabinetry, the name of my business is Woodworx Custom Cabinetry. Woodworx just seemed to fit for a username on a pinewood web site.