I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Post by gpraceman »

Well, here in the Denver area we are getting socked in by a nice blizzard. Some are forcasting 10" - 20" of snow before it is over, so we will definitely be having a white Christmas.

Perfect weather for the California relatives that we have in town. :lol:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Post by SpinDoctor »

Hope it tracts our way.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SpinDoctor wrote:Hope it tracts our way.
I'm not sure it will make it up your way, but it is socking us pretty good.

Most everything is being closed (stores, highways, airport, post office, etc.). We have around 2 ft of snow, with some drifts up to 3 ft. I had to use the snow thrower to just get out of my driveway. Residential streets were a mess. Lots of stuck cars. Even 4WDs/AWDs were slip sliding all over the place. I put chains on my 4WD just to be on the safe side. Went to the inlaws for dinner and came back and it was hard to tell that I cleared off the drive 2 hrs earlier. We are supposed to get more snow overnight and into tomorrow.

The sad part is my new 4WD now has a nice size scrape on one of the alloy wheels from when my wife ventured out earlier in the day. Not really her fault. Some lady pulled out in front of my wife and my wife felt it was better to hit the curb than hit her. Too bad, they don't stay new forever.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Here's some photos from our neighborhood. We got a good 30" or so of snow with drifts up to 4ft.

Frosty is up to his chin. Our other lawn decorations are totally buried or barely visible.

Hard to tell that I cleared off the driveway the afternoon before. Glad I bought a snow blower when we moved here. We helped dig several neighbors out with it.

Hard to tell, but in some places the snow was higher than the top of the snow blower intake, so I did some tunneling.

A drift on our front doorstep, with my daughter showing just how deep it was.
Notice -- CA girl with light jacket (unzipped for that matter), so it wasn't that cold.

Some of our neighbors starting to collect around a fire pit in a neighbors driveway. We chatted, roasted marshmellows, drank cocoa (and some things a bit stronger), watched the kids play and dig a snow cave. We even watched as one of our neighbors was towing sledders around our circle with his 4WD.
Randy Lisano

SpinDoctor
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SpinDoctor »

I love that snowman picture
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

SpinDoctor wrote:I love that snowman picture
Here's an updated photo. My older son dug it out, but he decided that he wanted to make it into a real snowman, so he pushed more snow inside of it.

Randy Lisano

Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Randy:

OK, I guess it tops the mere foot we got a couple of weeks ago.

You "derby guys" are so competitive. :)

p.s. Ours lasted about a week and then got melted off by a heat wave (we're back up in the 50s again, not even "coat required" weather in Illinois).

No White Christmas for us... :(
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby