Scouts and Ethics

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Scouts and Ethics

Post by Teeeman »

Well, I'm officially jaded now...

after some experiences at District and now a Council race...

someone being in Scouts doesn't mean beans when it comes to honor for some folks.

Folks who would cheat at a Pinewood race are literally ascribing to cheating hundreds of other kids.

It is that mentality of selfishness that, in my opinion, is the cause of wars in this world.

Thankfully the majority of folks in Scouting are here for the right reasons and have a sense of right and wrong but I am convinced that thanks to human nature there will always be a large percent of the human species that can't see the bigger picture and greater good... they're too busy worrying about themselves.

I see it every day in traffic and every day at work and every day I go out in public in general.

If we could suddenly eliminate want in this world for human needs such as shelter, food, warmth and purpose... there would still be wars fought for power... for greed... for lust... I'm convinced of it.

Well, pinewood derby didn't put these thoughts in my head but the fact that even amongst Scout leaders y-day we had cheats who not only cheated but then tried to lie through inspection...

really gets my dander up.

OK, philosophy is over for now.

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
frontosacam311
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Scouts and Ethics

Post by frontosacam311 »

I hear ya Teeeman. We live in a Narcississtic society. Take Myspace for example, what a great way to show off and be self centered. I bet the majority of those Narcississts would not even recognize their next door neighbor if they crossed paths on the street. I too have been jaded, except this was at a church race of all places. During the awards ceremony when I went up to pick up the 1st place trophy one of the top leaders in the church stood up, danced a jig and sang very loud"I don't want to grow up Im a toys r us kid" and then started laughing at me like I was some sort of freak. Totally rained on my parade. Cool thing was I didn't hear one other person laugh at me. They actually seemed pretty heated that he did that to me seeing I spent countless hours helping the boys with cars and setting up the event. So what if I am 31 and enjoy building cars- shoot, I can't wait to see how fast of a car I can build when I hit 80! After that comment he made I 86ed myself from that church( not the only reason) and will never go back. Oh well, them Royal Ranger cars aren't that fast anyways.Also, we had plenty of rule bending in our race to that was totally wrong. So I guess our society at large is in need of a serious reality check.(after hitting spell check I am floored that I spelled narcississtic right the first time! even at 1:30 am)
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

up late and able to spell that word?

Dude!

You rock!

:)

We too are church hunting but what happened was not just a problem for us in our former church... a sizable percentage of the congregation left.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Teeeman wrote:Well, I'm officially jaded now...

after some experiences at District and now a Council race...

someone being in Scouts doesn't mean beans when it comes to honor for some folks.

...even amongst Scout leaders y-day we had cheats who not only cheated but then tried to lie through inspection...
frontosacam311 wrote:...I too have been jaded, except this was at a church race of all places. During the awards ceremony when I went up to pick up the 1st place trophy one of the top leaders in the church stood up, danced a jig and sang very loud "I don't want to grow up Im a toys r us kid" and then started laughing at me like I was some sort of freak. Totally rained on my parade.
Sorry to hear the stories, but welcome to JBSAIFTKA "Jaded, but still at it for the kids" anonymous. Kind of a long moniker, but lots of members (most don't even realize it, they just keep at it on their own...).

As I have often told my wife, life would be much more fun if it weren't for the people. She used to get mad at me and say things like "you're socially handicapped" or "you're just an engineer" (not sure what she means by that one...) :shock:

Then one day, she took over as coach for our daughter's softball team and started dealing with the other parents. Out came those 6 magical little words I hear now and again... "Now I see what you mean" :idea: ROTFL

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Go Bubba Go wrote: Sorry to hear the stories, but welcome to JBSAIFTKA "Jaded, but still at it for the kids" anonymous. Kind of a long moniker, but lots of members (most don't even realize it, they just keep at it on their own...).

Bubba
LOL! Didn't know I was part of a club :shock:

Haven't had any problems at the pack level, but guess I officially joined when the leader of another pack yelled at me for DQ'ing a car from their pack that the parent and cub admitted was purchased and all they did was paint it :?: :shock:

Then again, maybe it was coaching Little League last year :|

Like you said Bubba, I do it for the kids, in spite of the parents.
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

Unfortunately, it is inevitable that cheating will occur (even at church races). I have taught school for 25 years and have found that most of the really sticky issues are not caused by the kids, but by the parents. I would imagine that most of the cheating issues are the same. The kids don't have the giant egos to protect and nurture yet. :-)