Priorities

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Priorities

Post by TAL »

Jsut curious here, Who sets the priorities for a Pack?

Some packs seem to not go all out for a pinewood derby , Why or Why not?

Is it a thing that some see only as kids playing with a wooden car?

Are members (pack leaders) here on derby talk in some ways a minority when it comes to pinewood derby participation?

It seems that the last few races I did for some packs it just seems as the parents and leaders just want it over with. Out of 2 or 3 packs it seems there were no overly aggressive parents and at least 5 to 10 cars from each of the 2 packs would'nt make it to the end of the track and the rest were very slow cars. Why not more involvement by the parents and leaders?

Is interest in the pinewood derby more of a regional type thing?
For example : Is out in the country better for camping and fishing and that is more of a top priority where as in the city an arena type activity is more of a priority?
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Priorities

Post by GravityRacer »

For me personally, back when I was a Cub leader (stopped when my youngest joined Boy Scouts in Y2k), we did it all- hiking, camping, shooting, you name it. We did the Space Derby and the Raingutter Regatta as well, every year and went to District Derby Day, which had all these efents PLUS a bike rodeo. Quite an active Pack! So, I'm not sure what the deal is that you have observed...we were suburban, btw.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

TAL,

I have seen over the years it very from year to year and with different leaders and new members to the pack.

Which seems about every two years, sometimes you get very lucky any you have a pack leader staying longer than that.

But I certainly have seen some that appear to just get it over with and not care as much. in regards to pwd.

sometimes people are overwhelmed or even underwhelmed when it comes to scouts.

I do not know that I can really place a true reason on why it happens.

But the mood and tone of leaders or the committee can set the tone for the race, event, monthly meetings and so forth.

This past year was a ruff year for me, honestly.

the old leadership here at a local pack, seemed to embrace and welcome my help and knowledge from cubmobile to pinewood derby.

When that leadership changed, so did the welcome matt.

Around here, it's almost like a culture change, like you would see at high school every 4 to 5 years. It always seems to be different then when you went.

The downside is the kids really are the ones that loose out, but to someone who might have a different view on it. Hard to open peoples minds up !

Thanks to a few other local area packs, I was not only embraced, but the welcome matt layed out. So I help them out now.

Sporty
boss429
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by boss429 »

Other activities outside of scouts can influence participation in the pinewood derby, also. Our pack's derby is in late January, the weekend after science fair projects are due.

I heard a lot of that excuse the past couple of years.

Another reason overheard is "the same scouts always win so why should I try?"

About 5 years ago our derby had over 100 cars entered but his year only 45 cars were racing. Our pack size has dwindled also in direct proportion it seems.

Next year is a complete turnover of leadership in our pack. We graduate too but I hope the new leadership is able to build the derby back up as well as the pack membership.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Priorities for our Pack are very laid back, we just go with the flow.

In the recent past the PWD track had been put into storage and left there because the packs cars were not competitive and the leader felt the kids were not having any fun racing and losing consistently to other packs. It seemed other packs were getting too much adult help. Since coming to this pack I have pulled out the track and the kids are now in all out mode... hopefully districts will be a bit different this year.

Why not more involvement by the parents and leaders? Lack of knowledge would be my guess... hammering 4 nails through wheels into a block of wood and watching the turd run down the track can be a bit boring I guess... take all the tips here and dump 30 hours into the project and things become a bit more interesting, before it was a random event (eg. cut for high card to see who takes home the trophy this year)... with knowledge it becomes a competition of skill or craftsmanship.

I made PWD cars with an urban cub pack and now I'm doing the same in a very rural area... I think you may be on to something, there is a big difference. I can see where one of the highlight of the season for the urban pack was the PWD event, weenier roasts were boiled hot dogs in the churches kitchen and the overnight camp out was at the local sportsmans club and you had to be out of the clubhouse by 10am so the owners could use the property... in the rural setting the kids still seem interested in the PWD but if we have a nice at a regular meeting, we will go around the corner into the bush and let the kids build a fire and cook hot dogs... and when we have a camp out we don't have to be concerned about the club house, we need to worry about the bears eating the cubs and not coming home with as many as we took. The racing doesn't change but what the kids compare it to does.

I guess priorities are dictated some what by the cubs... if they are not having fun or would rather be doing something else, there is not much point to it... if you know what I mean.