What is your “real job”?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

What is your “real job”?

Post by ah8tk »

I know a lot here are involved in scouting, Awana, etc.. My original inquiry was to ask Stan what he did for a “real job”, you know the one that allows you to spend your “extra” money and time on Pinewood Derby. But I decided this would be interesting question to post to all members of DerbyTalk.

For me my job is in the telecommunications industry (my title is “telecommunications administrator”, that is a long title) for a utility. I basically deal with phone (including cellular phones) and voice mail adds moves and changes and 800 number routing. It gives me some of the tools I use for Pinewood Derby (Visio to design cars). Not a real glamorous job but it pays the bills.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What is your “real job”?

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I'm a Tool Designer for a large architectural hardware (mostly locks) company. That experience allows me to redesign existing PWD tools or create new ones. Having a Tool Room or outside vendors to build them for free is an added bonus! :mrgreen:
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

I work in a little town about 4 miles by 4 miles square and I make daily travels on the streets to make sure all road kill (never know what's for lunch tommorrow :lol: ) , trash and debri are out of visual site . During the spring, summer and fall months I also keep the grass mowed around town, streets , and town properties.

Find lots of tools and about anything you can think of sometime, even money; YEA! :D

I can honestly say, The town is a neat, clean little town if I must say so myself.

What I really love most about my job is the hours, 7am to 3:30 pm Mon-Fri. That gives me plenty of time for activities like Pinewood derby, Slotcars, and R/C's and plenty of time with my 10 year old daughter.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Well, when I got into this type of racing, I worked as a Quality Engineer for Sony, making 19" computer monitor CRT's.

Then I got involved with helping our Awana club have its first Grand Prix. From then on I was hooked. I built a track and timing system and then wrote the first version of GrandPrix Race Manager (shareware). I also built the first version of the GrandPrix Race Central website. That programming work actually helped me to transfer over to the IS division of Sony, where I built and supported applications and websites for several Sony business groups.

People in our Awana club encouraged me to start selling GPRM, so I rewrote it to make it more appealing to the masses (Version 2). That was in 2002. The software sales took off and by 2005, I was able to quit Sony and do my software business full time.

Now, I get to play around with this type of racing all day. :dance: It is much more fun than working in corporate America. Though, I do miss all the nice benefits.
Last edited by gpraceman on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

ah8tk wrote:I know a lot here are involved in scouting, Awana, etc.. My original inquiry was to ask Stan what he did for a “real job”, you know the one that allows you to spend your “extra” money and time on Pinewood Derby. But I decided this would be interesting question to post to all members of DerbyTalk.

For me my job is in the telecommunications industry (my title is “telecommunications administrator”, that is a long title) for a utility. I basically deal with phone (including cellular phones) and voice mail adds moves and changes and 800 number routing. It gives me some of the tools I use for Pinewood Derby (Visio to design cars). Not a real glamorous job but it pays the bills.
Daytime - real estate appraiser
Nighttime - business account manager (SPRINT/NEXTEL)
Sidetime - Pack Committee Chairman, RealRadio104.1 personality "realradioinfoguy", hosting Tuesday Trivia 2:30pm - 3:00 on the Shannon Burke Show
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Fatdaddy »

pack529holycross wrote:
ah8tk wrote:I know a lot here are involved in scouting, Awana, etc.. My original inquiry was to ask Stan what he did for a “real job”, you know the one that allows you to spend your “extra” money and time on Pinewood Derby. But I decided this would be interesting question to post to all members of DerbyTalk.

Daytime - real estate appraiser
Nighttime - business account manager (SPRINT/NEXTEL)
Sidetime - Pack Committee Chairman, RealRadio104.1 personality "realradioinfoguy", hosting Tuesday Trivia 2:30pm - 3:00 on the Shannon Burke Show
Daytime-Property Inspector
Off time-Cubmaster, and Pinewood Psycho, newly titled :), as well as father of 3 boys, I'll be knee deep in derby for at least another 11 years :)
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I work as a narcotics cop. I get to play the ugly, dirty, weird looking guy. Makes pack meetings interesting. Everyone in the den knows me. I've been a coach to a lot of their kids (soccer and football) . But at the pack meetings, few will sit by me.
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

I have a custom cabinetry shop. Designing and building these cars is alot of fun for me, having all the tools makes it easier. but the biggest thrill i get is my son gets to work in the shop with me, he isn't much into woodworking but he loves the derby so at least for a few weekends a year i have a partner.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Electrical Engineer

And Webelos den leader.

I have followed my son and been the leader of his den, so this is my 4th year as a den leader.

Once I get him through Webelos II, I am giving up that job for a while.
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

Full time jobs:
- Husband
- Father to 3 boys
- Scoutmaster
- Den Leader for a Bear den
- Coach local basketball teams
- Coach local chess team
- Tag-team chauffeur to: violin lesson, viola lesson, tennis lesson, piano, swim team, and chess team (excluding their associated events and competitions)
- Keeper of the honeys-do list (growing exponentially)

Moonlight as:
- IT (network and desktop) guy for a hospital in Houston

As they say in scouting, "it only takes one hour a week!"

1Hour
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

I am the Pastor of a Millett Bible Baptist Church http://www.millettbbc.org in Lansing, MI. A fellow Pastor in town is the one who got me into PWD and with 6 years of carpentry experience I was fimiliar with wood working and had many tools for it.[/url]
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Jack of All Trades, Master of None...

I have bounced between cars and computers with a bit of Graphic Art work thrown in to keep me sane. For a number of years I owned a body shop that built drag cars that were almost street legal (big boys need toys too). Lately I have been doing more computer admin work and use the PWD cars as my creative go-fast outlet until I get a new project car. The wife tells me I have to remodel the kitchen before I get another project car... so I guess I am a general contractor/carpenter/plumber this month.
roosclan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by roosclan »

My paying job is working as a Cardiovascular Technologist (CVT) in our hospital's Cardiac Catheterization Lab. I'm one of the guys who scrubs with the cardiologist and assists with ballooning and stenting arteries. We are also one of the top labs in the country for treating Peripheral Vascular Disease.

My real job (aka my vocation):
husband
father to 6 boys, the 3 oldest are in Cub Scouts (I'm going to be doing PWD for a looooong time...)
teacher for those interested in joining our church.
digger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by digger »

I am a housing maintenance tech. I do Plumbing, Electrical,hvac. For the aramy at the National Training Center Fort Irwin CA.
Bathtub
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Bathtub »

My official job title is Electrical Coordinator. I work in the corporate engineering department of a Global activated carbon Manufacturer. What I really do is manage all electrical and DCS scada for the Marshall plant at this time. I'm fluent Rosemount RS3, Rockwell, Siemens, DeltaV, PLC and DCS systems as well as Wonderware, and other HMI applications. Also a certifed Profibus Engineer. Whats all that mean? Heck if I know I might as well be building a Turbo Encabulator.... Lets just say I get to put little graphics on a computer screen that the operator can control his plant with.

In my spare time.

Assistant Cubmaster
Bear Den leader
FFOS Chair for the Caddo District
Working on starting two new units at my church (just finished a 3 year hitch as a Vestry Member)
Comtemplating District Membership chair