What is your “real job”?

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What is your “real job”?

Post by AlabamaDan »

I'm a boring old banker. I spend most days 8-5 M-F sitting behind a desk.

When I'm not at the bank I'm a cubmaster and Bear den leader, neglecting my house work and playing with my kids.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

I am a shrink, psychoanalyst. Specializing in children and adolescence.

In my spare time I love wood. Refinishing and collecting antiques, vintage drums, pool cues and (although not wood) vintage Jaguars. Woodwork was my first love and help support me for quite some time. As a child and young adult I spent many hours in my uncles (a master craftsman) shop watching and learning. I inherited all of his tools.

I have two children, a wife, a dog, 3 cats, 9 fish and a rogue stray who boards on occasion.

I enjoy golf and fishing. I was active in scouting, my son has moved on. We still volunteer every year to help with PWD workshops and race day. Part time baseball and soccer coach.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Married to a beautiful woman, two children, Daughter (5) and Son (8). Senior process development manager for a large confectionery company. Cub Scout Den Leader. Love building vintage motorcycles but don't get much time to ride. Former dairy farmer from Green Bay, WI.
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Profession:
I own a Marketing, Advertising & PR Firm. I love what I do.

Passions:
"Free" time is divided between being an Inventor, Scout Leader, large-scale RC aerobatic aircraft builder, Kayaking, and Fly Fishing.

As an inventor:
Focused on Electric Vehicle development in the USA and abroad, as well as ultra high efficiency insulated building materials and comfort appliances.

I quite literally want to change the world...and this is the path I've chosen.

K
bad_karma_2805a1

Post by bad_karma_2805a1 »

In the realy world I am the IT Manager/Lab Manager/Safety Coordinator, for a plastic company in Akron Ohio. I am also in charge of the building and grounds and pretty much anything they don't specificly have someone to do.

On the Scout side of things I am a WEBELOS Den leader, Chairman of the commitee for the pack and district races, and I am on the District Training Team.

I think that is about it.
rsmith6322
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rsmith6322 »

1st post-new member. My son is joining the cub scouts this year. There's no reason I can't start making PWD cars now is there? Had to take a break from my woodworking interests due to a partial amputation on my left hand....ruined my entire day. :wall:

Paid-911 dispatcher
Unpaid-reserve police officer
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

rsmith6322 wrote:1st post-new member. My son is joining the cub scouts this year. There's no reason I can't start making PWD cars now is there?
Some derbies have rules requiring all cars to be built after a certain date. The rule is mainly to avoid having last year's pack champion racing last year's car again, rather than building a new one. But it could affect those who want to get an early start.

And some derbies have rules requiring all cars to be built with the blocks distributed by the organizers, and they mark those blocks so they can be identified at check-in. The rule is mainly to avoid eBay cars. But it could affect those who want to get an early start.

But if you check your pack's rules and there is nothing prohibiting it, then go for it! And you and your son can always build cars that won't race, just for the learning experience.
rsmith6322 wrote:Had to take a break from my woodworking interests due to a partial amputation on my left hand....ruined my entire day. :wall:
On the plus side, your warnings to the kids about shop safety will make a much bigger impression now. :eek:
rsmith6322
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rsmith6322 »

Darin McGrew wrote:
rsmith6322 wrote:1st post-new member. My son is joining the cub scouts this year. There's no reason I can't start making PWD cars now is there?
Some derbies have rules requiring all cars to be built after a certain date. The rule is mainly to avoid having last year's pack champion racing last year's car again, rather than building a new one. But it could affect those who want to get an early start.

And some derbies have rules requiring all cars to be built with the blocks distributed by the organizers, and they mark those blocks so they can be identified at check-in. The rule is mainly to avoid eBay cars. But it could affect those who want to get an early start.

But if you check your pack's rules and there is nothing prohibiting it, then go for it! And you and your son can always build cars that won't race, just for the learning experience.
rsmith6322 wrote:Had to take a break from my woodworking interests due to a partial amputation on my left hand....ruined my entire day. :wall:
On the plus side, your warnings to the kids about shop safety will make a much bigger impression now. :eek:
Yea, I told my wife that I'm practicing and learning how to make them...she bought it too. You'd think that she know better after that little incident last year.... :angel: Mostly I'm just having fun....My son enjoys playing with them and I enjoy making them for him.
pgosselin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pgosselin »

I'm an associate creative director for an advertising/public relations firm. I conceptualize, write and produce radio spots, TV spots, outdoor boards, Web sites, print ads and other forms of marketing communication. In my spare time I'm an amateur luthier (stringed instrument builder). I'm also the son of a chemical engineer, which partially explains my attraction to Pinewood Derby. However, I got the scientific aptitude, but didn't get the math gene. I have two boys: one just crossed over to the Troop, one is still a Bear. I reluctantly took on the job of Pack Committee chair two years ago, but am now glad that I did. I wouldn't trade my experiences with my boys in scouting for anything in the world.

Paul
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

I'm a Tech 5 in the Freezer for an Ice Cream Company. (Ice Cream Captial of the World) I work with the Robots, Automated Freezers, ASRS (Auto Store Retrieve System) 52,000 pallets in house. Interesting work if you like 20 below.

Married to a understanding wife, Father of 6, 4 girls and 2 boys. Oldest is crossing over and the other will join in a year. I'm the Asst Cubmaster and Webelos Leader. I'm the head of the Pack Derby, and I'm loving every minute of it.

For fun, family roller skates at the local rink, atv's, cars, I'm on a pit crew for a Top Alcohol Funny car team, I actually make 16 races a year all over the United States. (Mostly ends up being my vacation time. Wife doesnt love it ;) But she understands my love for racing.)
Pinewood Po
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Pinewood Po »

I am half-owner of a machine shop and a machinist by trade. I am thankful my business has remained small enough that I still run it as opposed to it running me. :thumbup:

I am Dad to 3 girls, grandfather to 4 grandsons and a granddaughter. I always thought it would have been nice to have a boy to help me mow the yard. I'm now thinking maybe it all worked out for the better with grandsons to help when I'm old and really need the help.

I was in the Cub Scouts when I was a kid and still have my uniform hanging in the closet. For some reason my den didn't do the Pinewood Derby but I've been honored to help one of my grandsons with his car. This is his first year and seeing the look on his face when his car wins is priceless to me. He won his pack race, placed 5th at district and was really excited when he found out he is going to race at council.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Pinewood Po wrote:I was in the Cub Scouts when I was a kid and still have my uniform hanging in the closet.
Neat!
Pinewood Po wrote:For some reason my den didn't do the Pinewood Derby...
The first Pinewood Derby race did not happen until 1953 and official BSA kits were not offered until 1955. So depending on how old your are Po, Pinewood Derby may not have existed. (Even when it did exist, someone in your unit had to be ambitious enough to build the track!)
Pinewood Po
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Pinewood Po »

That could explain it. I was a cub in the early 60s.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

Bathtub wrote: Heck if I know I might as well be building a Turbo Encabulator....
:rofl: I love those turbo encabulator videos :rofl:

I'm a chrysler technician...you know...a mechanic.

and an amatuer inventor...just got my first patent.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Scubersteve wrote:... and an amatuer inventor...just got my first patent.
That is so cool! Now you just have to defend/sell/license it if you are to derive income from it! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"