Trademark, patents

Topics not relating to derbies, regattas or cubmobile races.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Trademark, patents

Post by sporty »

I often see some of the pwd goodies, mention, trademark or patent.

But many do not seem to list the patent number or more specific info, like patent applied for.

I have a realitive that just so happens to work in the patent office, sorry no perks for me. He would loose his job.

however, we have had small talks about the process.

Many which require a patent lawyer or filing for a patent. Typically if you are lucky, you can get this done for under $200, but most of the time the standard rate seems to be around $750.

Then they have to go look and see if there is already a patent, or if it's to vague or is something that is not patentable.

Typically you could be looking upto 6 months to 2 years before you find out if the patent is excepted or denied.

This back log, is mainly due to 1,000's of patent applications coming in everyday. Some which require very time consuming research.

The reason I thought it would be a good idea to bring this up, there seems to be more vendors now than every before in pinewood derby, many do not post the patent number.

We see small veriences from some tools to another, but do the basic same function.

Harley tried to patent there sound and there engine, they lost after millions of dollars, this was to try and prevent the other mfg of cloning or imitating the sound and engine.

Some things are just not able to be patented.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trademark, patents

Post by gpraceman »

Well, if my understanding is correct:

It depends on if someone is claiming that they have been awarded a patent or that it is "patent pending". If they have been awarded a patent, then they need to list the patent number. For those claiming "patent pending", that should mean that they are in the process of getting a patent and have filed the paperwork with the patent office. It may take a year or so before such applications are publicly available, so it is hard to know what patents there are currently in the works for PWD related products. If someone is claiming "patent pending" and has not filed for a patent, they are subject to a fine payable to the party reporting the false claim.

If my understanding is not correct, then maybe someone with more direct experience with patents will chime in.

I too have wondered about some of the "patent pending" claims by some of the vendors.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.