Weights Get Lost in the Mail... but there's an upside

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Weights Get Lost in the Mail... but there's an upside

Post by gpraceman »

Some time back I read about someone bolting two 2x4's together, drilling a set of 3/8" holes down the middle. Pour in the lead, let cool and then unbolt to remove the slugs.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Thanks Randy!
I think I'll try that. Gotta be easier than drill holes and then splitting apart the wood to get the slugs... trashes the wood.

I'd lose interest in lead, but it's cheap, it recycles and many parents don't see the benefit of 'investing' $20 in tungsten for x years of use.

RP
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
goldrush
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by goldrush »

I can't remember where I found the picture of it, but it does work pretty well with the 2 angle irons bolted together, and drill a series of holes in the split.

I did find it works best when warmed (unfortunately my shop was -20C when I was doing it) to fill the cavities completely. And there was a lot of slag on top. I then tore the slugs apart, and made a shear to hold the slug, and cut off the jagged top.

I drilled the holes in the angle irons to 23/64" I think, so a normal 3/8" brad point bit could be used for drilling across the body, and the slugs could be slid in and wood filler covering the ends.

I will be out there later today, I will take some pics and try to figure out how to post them.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I tried a basic set-up last night, no angle iron involved. Just bolted together two pieces, drilled 3/8 holes. Worked pretty well. Will make another mold tonight. The large 7lb bars don't produce much, if any, slag. Previous slag skimmed off from recycled tire weights. 3/8 size slugs fit fine in 25/64 drilled weight pockets.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.