Looking for "old style" pre-2009 wheels

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Looking for "old style" pre-2009 wheels

Post by drathbun »

Hi, folks, my oldest boy had an interesting idea for our derby this year. He's a Web II so this will be his last run as a cub scout, and he thought about making neckerchief slides for all of the boys in our pack. We've come up with a design that uses a derby wheel. I have a bag of older style wheels (the pre-2009 style with the thicker hubs) and I'm going to use them up first, but before I did into my bag of newer style wheels I thought I would at least see if any of you have any quantity (20+, perhaps?) of these older style wheels you would be willing to donate or sell or otherwise part with?

I say 20+ because I'm more than happy to pay for shipping but I figure getting wheels in sets of 4 at a time would take too long, am hoping to get one or two batches of larger quantity for efficiency. My apologies for the late notice, as we have only this week to collect the wheels and we'll go into construction mode Friday night. Our derby is this coming Saturday.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Looking for "old style" pre-2009 wheels

Post by 5kidsracing »

drathbun wrote:Hi, folks, my oldest boy had an interesting idea for our derby this year. He's a Web II so this will be his last run as a cub scout, and he thought about making neckerchief slides for all of the boys in our pack. We've come up with a design that uses a derby wheel. I have a bag of older style wheels (the pre-2009 style with the thicker hubs) and I'm going to use them up first, but before I did into my bag of newer style wheels I thought I would at least see if any of you have any quantity (20+, perhaps?) of these older style wheels you would be willing to donate or sell or otherwise part with?

I say 20+ because I'm more than happy to pay for shipping but I figure getting wheels in sets of 4 at a time would take too long, am hoping to get one or two batches of larger quantity for efficiency. My apologies for the late notice, as we have only this week to collect the wheels and we'll go into construction mode Friday night. Our derby is this coming Saturday.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I have at least 35 old style wheels... I can ship them out tomorrow:) PM me your address...
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

PM sent, thank you so much!
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Evolution »

5Kids is stand up guy. He will get you fixed up. I had hundreds of the 2009 wheels that I gave away not long before you posted this up. I would have much rather had them go to this type of project.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

Well, as with racing, timing is important. ;) Thanks for the consideration anyway. I have one package on the way and an offer of another. The community is awesome, thanks so much. I'll be sure to post pictures of the project results.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I'm also sitting on a can of pre-2009 wheels.
What kind of design are you using for the neckerchief slide? If you don't my ol' wheels, I'd sure appreciate your new neckerchief design.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

5kidsracing has taken care of my wheel needs. Between what he has found to send and what I already have we're covered for our pack.

The neckerchief slide design is just that, so far, a design. My plan is to drill some holes in some 1/2" pvc pipe that fit the wheel hub. (We'll have to drill slightly different sized holes for the old versus new hubs due to the different sizes.) My boy will do all of the measuring and drilling on our drill press (with proper supervision). We'll also highlight the "BSA" and "Pinewood Derby" lettering on the wheels with white paint using a dry-brush technique. I will cut the pvc pipe into sections based on his measurements using the band saw for speed. Finally, he'll glue a wheel onto each cut section, mounting the hub of the wheel into the pipe. In our "dry run prototype" it looked good, so I'm hoping we have time to complete everything. If we have time he wants to put the year "2012" around the outside of the wheel but if we run short on time that will be left off.

I will be sure to post pictures of the process. I think we should be able to mass-produce about 70 of these fairly quickly; other than the paint the steps should go very fast.
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Please post pics of your prototype and the final product, it sounds very cool!
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

ciodude wrote:Please post pics of your prototype and the final product, it sounds very cool!
I definitely will do that, thanks for your interest.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PWD neckerchief slide idea

Post by ah8tk »

Here is what we came up with when my son asked to make a slide using a pinewood wheel a week or so back. He is a 2nd year Boy Scout now and is still losing neckerchief slides all of the time. We have purchased way too many slides since he was a Tiger.

Noah came up with the concept and I had to take it a little further with the checkered race theme and some Cub Scout logos. I am not sure if this is what drathburn's plan is, but this is what we did…

the plan:

The axles are cut with a side cutter and the cut end is ground smooth then epoxied into the wheel bore. The wheels are then clear coated with a matte clear so the painted lettering does not come off if the slide is rubbed. The decoration on the PVC is sticker paper printed with the logos & checkerboard pattern, it is applied to the PVC and then laminated with 2” box tape. Then the wheel is epoxied to the 1/2" PVC to complete the slide.

The pre 2009 wheels are way easier to paint the lettering on the sidewalls then the new wheels. My son decided to paint the lettering on the new wheels for his Pinewood car, after he had done a couple of the wheels for the slides. He said the new wheel lettering is a lot thinner and hard to keep the paint just on the lettering. I told him if he started the wheels he would have to finish them all for his car, he finished them all.

They look great, I wonder how long until these are lost? (there must be a big stockpile of neckerchief slides somewhere in this world).
Last edited by ah8tk on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeterT
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PeterT »

These are AWESOME! thanks for sharing!
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Very clever and way cool!
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

That's basically the concept we have come up with, except we won't have time to do the fancy checkerboard pattern on the PVC pipe. Unfortunately we only came up with the idea last weekend, and I'm out this week at a conference and don't get home until tonight. I do have a box of over 60 wheels waiting for me when I get home though, thanks to 5kids. :thumbup: The "dry brush" technique I mentioned earlier is what we'll use to paint the lettering. The basic concept comes from years ago when I was painting miniature figures for war games and so on. You dip the brush into the paint (white in this case) and then paint most of the paint off on a piece of paper or something, so that the brush is nearly dry. Then you simply drag the brush across the raised lettering, and the small amount of remaining paint goes on top of the letters but doesn't sink down in. It's a very easy way to paint raised subjects (like chain mail ;) ) and is much faster than trying to paint the individual letters. We haven't tried it yet, but I suspect that the technique will be simply enough that my older boy can do it, and it's fast enough that we will hopefully get done before our race on Saturday.

I really want to make the effort to get everything done for him, since he came up with the concept of giving slides out to the entire pack at the derby all on his own. I want to make it happen, but time will be really tight. :eek:
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

drathbun wrote:The "dry brush" technique I mentioned earlier is what we'll use to paint the lettering.
Thats what we've done in the past. My kids have also used colored Sharpies (silver and gold) to color the raised lettering. Since your going to be doing so many, would it work to paint a surface and then turn the wheel over and lay it in the thin layer of paint, like a rubber stamp?
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

I read about that technique in another post; we plan to try both and see which works the best.