Down and Derby Movie

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Down and Derby Movie

Post by gpraceman »

At our Denver area Scout Show this last Saturday, I thought it funny that I saw some promo fliers for the movie at a couple of the Pinewood Derby booths, but the movie is already out of theaters here. The movie has come and gone faster than any Pinewood Derby car. I don't think it made it two full weeks.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

Yeah -- our Scout Headquarters still has flyers promoting the movie -- as well as posters -- but the movie was gone in just one week.
Maybe they should call it "Down and Out"
TDean
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

Why on earth would they make a PG movie targeted for kids, then release it after PWD season when the vast majority of kids and parents (outside this forum) have long forgotten about their winter project?

I'm all for humor and know the favorite topics of humor for kids as a parent of two, it's not necessary to garner a PG rating to get the job done. While I feel safe screening movies for my own sons and explaining some of the negative aspects of the films we see (and they've been to PG movies), I woudn't feel the same about taking someone elses children to a PG movie and doing the same explaining to them.

They should edit a clean version for distribution to recover something from their project. Hindsight is 20/20 but when I first heard about this film I expected it to release during PWD season, when it didn't I knew it was headed for "direct to video", well almost anyway.