Down and Derby Movie

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Down and Derby Movie

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

gpraceman wrote:I now see specific theaters showing up on their list of opening markets!

http://www.downandderby.com/opening_markets.html

I'm excited. :dance: It is opening at a theater very close to me.
Its showing in 11 cities in Utah and 0 in the Carolinas. Is this where the Derby Dad's are?
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

Hey Randy, does this msg board software have a "spoiler font" (i.e. background color = foreground color, highlight text if you want to be spoiled?

If not, is it possible to add a new BB code?

It's not playing near me, and I bet I'm not the only who does not want to hear any specifics.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Cory wrote:Hey Randy, does this msg board software have a "spoiler font" (i.e. background color = foreground color, highlight text if you want to be spoiled?

If not, is it possible to add a new BB code?

It's not playing near me, and I bet I'm not the only who does not want to hear any specifics.
Sorry Cory, I don't think there is.

I would suggest that those where the movie is not showing contact them at info@downandderby.com or maybe distribution@downandderby.com would be better. If they get enough responses requesting the movie be shown in other markets, I would hope that they would add it to other theaters.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We saw the 5:20 show tonight. We were the only people in the theater. If you have to see it, do it now. It won't be around for long. It will probably be on video in a month or two.

Three guys (longtime friends) go into seclusion to build the fastest PWD car, not only to beat each other, but to beat their neighbor who has always won everything he tries. They all go online, buy the same "Pinewood Derby Bible" (the size of a BIG full size dictionary) & video (a goofy looking guy with his son), and build tracks (6 lanes with timers, 16ft long!!) in their bedrooms (much to the "delight" of their wives). The wives can't take the insanity and leave with the kids to relative’s house until the race.

When one of them discovers the author of the book is actually the neighbor they want to beat, the scheme to get into his house and borrow the "world record" (3.112?) holding PWD car he built 30 years ago. The usual hijinks follows and the race the car against their best. They all lose to a 30 year old car! They get the car back to the neighbor’s house with numerous incidents of nearly getting caught. They work together and build the "ultimate" car that runs 3.100 on its first and only run (beating the "world record"). Meanwhile the neighbor builds a better car and beats his 30 year old car.

They bring the car to the race in a padded attaché case and agree on who will get to have their son race it...

I give it a 4 out of 10. :(

[edited by gpraceman so as not to spoil all of the plot for those that have not seen the movie yet.]
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

Too late looks like it's been "spoiled" Oh well, I still want to see it!!
With Christ we are all Winners!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Overall, my family and I liked the movie. It started off rather slow, but then picked up with the hijinks of the house break-in and after. I liked the ending and the basic message that it sent. Pat Morita played only a very small role in the movie. I had expected him to be more a part of the movie. Lauren Holly I thought did the best acting job.

I think the folks at Microwizard will be happy that their Fast Track timers and remote time displays were being used in the movie.

So where can we get a copy of this "Pinewood Derby Bible" and who is keeping track of the Pinewood Derby "World Record Time"? :wink:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Saw it tonight with some friends. Loved it! We drove about 2 hrs to Indy to watch it. I will buy the DVD when it comes out for sure!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

No Spoiling in this message!

I went to see it yesterday. I don't like very many movies but thought it was not bad. My kids also enjoyed. It is pretty short. We drove about 45 minutes to see the movie. There was only one other person in the theater. Which is a weird feeling. I agree this movie will not be around long. It is more because of not investing in advertising, IMHO.

I found the movie to hit home pretty well. Most of the good lines are in the trailer. But one that did not make the trailer is when he is racing six cars and his wife asks "I thought you could only race one car"? Maybe I thought it was funny because we have been asked the same question many times.

I do think all of the talk about word records will just cause more confusion in the non pine head world :).

-Stev-
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

PWD wrote:No Spoiling in this message!
Sorry. I didn't mean to ruin it for anyone. :(

I was hoping it would be a little more accurate. Building (2) 16ft tracks in your bedroom and claiming to have beaten the "world record" is a little over the top. He should have blown a hole in the wall and ran a 32ft track into the next room! :D

At the race, I wish they had shown the cars for more than a fraction of a second. There could be some good ideas there. I guess I'll have to wait for the video (next month?).
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

I went with my son to see the movie yesterday -- only a 5 minute drive for me :lol: (we were the only ones in the theater as well). And while the movie will not be earning many Academy Awards for screenplay, directing or acting -- it was fun and I believe it did succeed in elevating our beloved "sport" above a minor craft project in the eyes of the non-initiated.

Besides the previously mentioned short tracks and ridiculous "World Record" time (we would all be horrified if it took over 3 seconds to finish that track), what made me cringe was the way he handled his cars -- after each race he would haphazardly toss the six cars together into a small waste basket, then slam them back onto the starting line. Hmm, no wonder it took so long to get to the finish line... And he would casually leave heavy power tools and other stuff dumped all over the tracks -- yipes!

I loved the idea of air drying the cars by attaching them to strings connected to the spinning ceiling fan!

However, I was not fond of the way they endorsed making "lead soup" by melting lead sinkers in a pan on the stove...
TDean
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Tomcat14 »

I haven't seen it yet but the portayal of "Lead Soup" is kind of disturbing. There are so many kids these days who act out what they see in movies. I just pray no child actually tries it.
With Christ we are all Winners!!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Yes, "lead soup" is frustrating. As CM, I gave each pack member about 4 ounces of lead slugs, each 3/8" dia. by about 1+ inches long. They can be pounded into different shapes (as I do) or pushed into drilled holes. It distresses me how many get remelted and poured into pockets in the cars! (It isn't the boys who come up with that idea, though! Pyro Dads!!!)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

TDean wrote:However, I was not fond of the way they endorsed making "lead soup" by melting lead sinkers in a pan on the stove...
Yes, "lead soup" is scary. The burns, fumes, any handling is hazardous!

The melting point of lead is 621 degrees. Is it possible?? An electric burner gets orange hot, but can you get the pan hot enough to melt lead sinkers and pour it out?? I would think it would be easier to use a torch and a small ceramic cup.

I used Tungsten. It's more expensive and unmachinable, but it's safe.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

"record times," "lead soup," improper handling of cars, faulty weight placement, short tracks -- sure would have been nice if they had enlisted the aid of a pinehead as a consultant!
At least they included Don Murphy (pinewood derby creator) as a cameo!
TDean
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Another thing that was disturbing about the movie was all of the references to the chest region of the actresses. If this is to be a kids movie they could have done with out that.