Pinewood Derby in Iraq

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pinewood Derby in Iraq

Post by gpraceman »

Here some email excerpts from one of our military members stationed in Iraq who would like to put on a Pinewood Derby for the troops and civilians stationed there. I thought you all might be interested in hearing about it. I think it is a great way to keep up their morale.

I don't know if anyone on Derby Talk is in his council (Alapaha Area Council of south central Georgia), but if so, maybe you can help him line up the car kits. He has already lined up a track, timer and software.
To whom it may concern,

My name is Byron W*****, I am a Master Sergeant in the US Air Force, and I am currently deployed to Balad Air Base, Iraq. I have peaked the interest of some of my brothers/sisters-in-arms about hosting a Pinewood Derby. As a Scoutmaster I know the joy and pride you get when you finally show your car, the fun of the competition and in our environment the break from the stress of where we are currently located. One of the easiest ways to get a large amount of people into relatively small area is through competition and this is the best way because they start out buy building a car. While I am waiting to see if the Packs/Troops of the Alapaha Area Council of south central Georgia will sponsor the BSA regulation car kits we need I am out beating the bushes looking for ways to jazz the up the races. We are going to use a tent we call Town Hall to host the races…we have a projections system set up, but I would like to use your software to manage the race. Would it be possible for you to donate one copy of your Grand Prix Race manager to the BALAD INTERNATIONAL PINEWOOD RACES (BIPR). There are 25,000 collocated here, Air Force – Balad AB, ARMY – LSA Anaconda…I am expecting a big turn out.

I am eagerly awaiting your reply,

MSgt Byron W*****
Fantastic news…with this all but two pieces have fallen into place, the cars and getting everything from Charlestown AFB to here. I am having difficulty in getting a response form my Scout Council, but I will work that through another person…my wife. The delivery issue is being worked and I will have an update (address) for you by the end of the week. My projected schedule is as follows:

By – 20 Nov – Items arrive at Charlestown AFB (this will be a private residence, my contact will worry about getting all materials to Iraq)
- 1 Dec – All items have arrived at Balad AB, Iraq
- 1 – 17 Dec – Personnel work on building their cars
- 13 Dec – Test run cars on track (Not timed)
- 18 Dec – Race Day (If this gets to big we will break into a couple race days)

I have already started receiving inquiries into the frequency of the races…some of the younger guys want to have a “season” like NHRA. We’ll have to wait and see what kind of participation this brings. The speed and enthusiasm of your reply’s, and your willingness to do some of my work for me has made this to easy to put together. I will be taking still photos of the event and will send to all involved. I will send more information before the weeks end.

V/R,
Byron

PS. This is a brief outline that was sent to the base about the races…

I am thinking on or about 18 December 2005…Utilize Town hall

***First, I want this to be for everyone Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Civ…everyone. ***

Four days prior to the race, set up the track for practice runs…personnel are responsible for their own cars…no timed runs.

Set the track up down on the main floor in front of the stage

Utilize both projection Screens
Screen #1 – Will have video of the race Live, instant replay with commentary, interviews with the teams/individuals
Screen #2 – Will have an electronic bracket updated constantly for contestants

The area by the far door will be where constants weigh their cars for entry…behind those tables will be tables to place the cars on until the race.

Before the race begins the cars will be judged for MOST UNIQUE and BEST LOOKING

Race Categories:

Races Part #1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) Individual Champion – Race to determine 1, 2, 3
B) Team Champion – Race to determine 1, 2, 3… (Can not use an individual car entry for this)

Races Part #2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C) Military Branch Champion – Race to determine 1st… (Can not use an individual car entry or team car entry for this)
D) DoD Champion – Race to determine 1st (Only the Military Branch Champions will race for this)
E) BAIP Overall Champion – Race to determine 1, 2, 3 (1st place winners from pervious 4 categories go head to head, Four races, lowest time wins)

MSgt W*****
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RacerRusty
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby in Iraq

Post by RacerRusty »

I would love to know how all this turned out. Do you have any additional information on this?

Thanks,
RR