"Death Derby"? (Demolition Derby)

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

"Death Derby"? (Demolition Derby)

Post by RaceFan »

https://www.samhoustonbsa.org/Home/Form ... 0Derby.PDF

The death derby part of this looks like great fun for the kids (and me) :lol: ! Last year's comparatively sub-standard cars are likely candidates for the death derby.

Do you think it's "ethical" for my Wolf cub & his sister to super-glue some nails onto the front of last years cars for this thing? heh heh!!! :wink:

There's something comical about this event....
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: "Death Derby"? (Demolition Derby)

Post by Stan Pope »

My fear in this event is that some will sacrafice a keepsake. My recently married and now a mortgaged home owner son will soon be moving some cars / plaques / etc into that new home. Somewhere along the line, he will probably box them up and stash them away. Then, sometime in the future (when he has a Cub Scout of his own) he will pull them out again and share the memories with his son. His first car, now 20 years later, sits in our family room waiting to go home with him ... along with all the steadily better others.

I wonder if we might have sent that first car into oblivion???

I would like for the "rules" for such a demolition derby be structured in a manner that no one would be tempted by folly or peer pressure to enter his racing car into that derby.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gtobob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by gtobob »

I agree Stan. The idea behind Pinewood Derbt is to build something together, not destroy something. If kids want to do that, they will. But as an official activity?
Pinewood is the antidote to stupid video games.
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Down-N-Flames »

From what I have read in the past about this event is you would build a car FOR this competetion. Totally different kind of car from a traditional racer. I think you could have additional fun/time together making a car for it. Also you can get creative as the idea is not to "break" the other car as much as knock it off the track.

I agree that hopefully kids won't ruin a keepsake. I keep the boys cars for them so they too can show their kids. I have mine from 20 years ago and showed the pack before the race to get kids excited.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RaceFan »

My wolf cub & I just got back from the death derby. You guys are right, it's mainly about knocking the other car off the track. The cars by no means got ruined. The worst that happened was a bent axle & scratched paint. The keepsakes could be touched up afterward.

There's no need to worry about being peer-pressured to enter the event! All the kids wanted to enter the death derby.

Since you're supposed to build a new car each year, it seems a fitting final event for this year's car. The kids had fun.