Pinewood Derby in Moldova (an old russian republic)

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pinewood Derby in Moldova (an old russian republic)

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a story that a software customer of mine, Jim Swartwood, shared with me, that you may be interested in.
FYI, 2 years ago I built 2 tracks and shipped them along with 160 pinewood cars to Moldova (an old russian republic). We did a youth outreach as part of a mission trip and the kids went CRAZY over the pinewood derby. They had never seen anything like it and built some of the most creative cars I have ever seen. Pinewood Derbys ROCK......... I had cut the blocks into a shape and got screw on wheels so we could build and race cars in an afternoon. Most of the work was paint and decorating but these kids got so involved, we expected them to maybe work on them for an hour maybe.... they spent all afternoon on them and it was all team work. We broke kids into teams and had races within the teams and then took the best and raced between the teams.... ... Jim
If anyone wants to know how we did the outreach, send them my way. I can give them how I built the track, made the blocks and found the screw on wheels. I made (2) 32ft tracks for less then $150 and I had Home Depot do all the cutting for me so all I had to do was glue and screw everything together. It took me 1 evening to build both tracks. It cost me less then $40 to make 150 cars also and an evening to prep them.
I think it is a great outreach for the kids. If anyone wants to be put in touch with Jim, let me know.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby in Moldova (an old russian republic)

Post by Teeeman »

That is just simply AWESOME!

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

We do a lot of business internationally. I have brought up the topic of Pinewood derby curious where else it is done. I have been surprised that I have not run into anyone from Europe including UK, Asia, South America or Austrlia that has the equivalent to the pinewood derby.

I would think in a countries like Japan and German it would be very popular. Countries where they value engineering.

International races would be really interesting to see some day :mrgreen:

Great to see this story!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I have heard of races being done in South Africa (Awana Missionary), Switzerland, Australia, England, Germany, and some others. It is not widespread by any means.

There are also many races held at US military bases around the world for Cub Scouts and Awana clubs.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Forgot to mention, I have heard about a race that some of our soldiers in Iraq held. It wasn't a kids race, but it was a fun diversion for them.
Randy Lisano