Derby in Iraq - pics

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
sprntrcr

Derby in Iraq - pics

Post by sprntrcr »

Just stumbled on these and thought I'd share.

http://www.sbsu.com/derby/
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Derby in Iraq - pics

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

That red hot rod truck is the coolest truck I have seen. Hoo Ra! :mrgreen:
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by chad9229 »

That is some cool pictures!!!! Probably most Ex-Cub Scouts or have boys that are currently Cub Scouts. You know I watch the media and we will never see something like that on the national news. Troops having fun.
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

chad9229 wrote:You know I watch the media and we will never see something like that on the national news. Troops having fun.

Ain't that the truth. If it isn't anti-American it doesn't fit their agenda.

Too bad there is no contact info. I think it would be kind of neat to send a PWD related care package. I'm sure if there where more kits available, more guys/girls would participate. This is the kind of R&R they need to temporarily take their minds off of the situation.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

sprntrcr wrote:Too bad there is no contact info. I think it would be kind of neat to send a PWD related care package. I'm sure if there where more kits available, more guys/girls would participate. This is the kind of R&R they need to temporarily take their minds off of the situation.
Shot the bank an eMail on the subject, I'll let you know their response.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Mike Doyle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Mike Doyle »

During one of our Pack meetings we had a Marine that was just back from Iraq as the guest speaker. He gave a presentation on the rebuilding of schools and medical facilities and then showed the buildings back in use with lots of happy kids.

Just about every parent in attendance that evening said the same thing, "why didn't I ever see this story on the news?".

Our men and women are doing an excellent job serving over there and they deserve our prayers and support. It's shame that media bias doesn't tell the whole story.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I guess it is not "news worthy" unless it is negative.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Mike Doyle wrote:During one of our Pack meetings we had a Marine that was just back from Iraq as the guest speaker. He gave a presentation on the rebuilding of schools and medical facilities and then showed the buildings back in use with lots of happy kids.
Complaints (well deserved) about media issues aside, Bubba wants to see a picture of lots of happy kids in Iraq having their own Pinewood Derby!!!

Anybody got a relative or other contact over there that could pull it off with a little support from us?

MaxV already has my Credit Card info on speed dial, I would certainly be willing to call him and have him send a bunch of kits over there on me, I just don't know anybody (anymore) that's on the ground over there.

I assume we shouldn't publish the address here, just let me know if anybody has a willing contact and we can work out the logistics "off screen".
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Maybe we should send one big care package of kits and a track to a unit or base in Iraq. I'm sure there are people here that would be willing to chip in some money for that effort. We can even try to get some of the kit suppliers and the track supplier to donate some stuff.

Is there someone who would like to head that effort up?

On the track, it can be a simple cardboard track. PineCar has one that is not expensive. They even have a kit for $125 that includes the track, weigh-in scale, decorative pennants, racing forms, winner ribbons, and certificates.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:Maybe we should send one big care package of kits and a track to a unit or base in Iraq. I'm sure there are people here that would be willing to chip in some money for that effort. We can even try to get some of the kit suppliers and the track supplier to donate some stuff.

Is there someone who would like to head that effort up?
Yes, I'll take it.

I sent an eMail off to a contact I have overseas to see if I can "scare up" a receiving base / unit, and I spoke briefly with MaxV about assembling the care package. The only shipping concern may be the track due to it's size, even a cardboard one (might need an Engineering unit to build them one on site).

I will keep you posted as the "idea" develops. In the interim, if anyone pops up with a more direct contact over there than I have, by all means chime in and/or send me a PM.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Yes, I'll take it.
Great! Do you want to set up some kind of fund so people can contribute to the effort? Maybe setup a PayPal account to make it easy.
Randy Lisano

Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote:Great! Do you want to set up some kind of fund so people can contribute to the effort? Maybe setup a PayPal account to make it easy.
I spoke to MaxV and he is willing to set that up.

I will follow up with the specifics and a link in a reply when the arrangements are done (it's full on Derby Season, he may not have it "up and running" until over the weekend) :)
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

Excellent!

This is what makes America great!

Keep us updated, I'm ready to donate....
DerbyAddict
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddict »

Count me in!! I'll chat with the committee and see what the Pack can do and I'll hit up the rest of the District at Roundtable. I'll even contact some of my non-Scout friends who are always looking for ways to support our troops and their mission.
Richard Sava
Cubmaster, Pack 241
Deltona, FL
Any day racing PWD is a good day but winning makes a better good day!
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

All I have to say is "Tell me where to send the check!". I know everyone can't help a lot, but if we all help a little even $1.00 that would be a lot! I read on one of theses posts that we have about 900 users, that would be $900.00!! Everyone pass the bucket/hat and who knoew? As a former service member who served in the first Iraq "war", I whoud have loved to have had something like a derby to help me pass the "downtime". As for as getting a track shipped over seas, If you can get in contact with someone on active duty, you might be able to get MWR (morale,welfare & recreation) office to assist in getting it taken on a military transport for free. Also see about contacting the USO, they might be able to help.