Down and Derby Drives me crazy

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Down and Derby Drives me crazy

Post by chad9229 »

You know, I have seen “Down and Derby” quiet a few times now, and it drives me crazy some of the discrepancies that you see with in the Movie.

For instance:

• Since when does the Den leader and the boys within said Den have different Pack numbers?
• If you notice at the beginning of the movie when they pour the contents out of the box on the kitchen table, there aren’t any Axels, kind of weird.
• They are all Webelos and they have never raced in a Pinewood derby? That is kind of weird.
• The guys a police officer? How much they paying Police officers these days? His parents or the wife’s parents have some money?
• You are telling me when a wheel comes off that easy, you can put it back on that easy and it will run the same as it did 20 years ago? Don’t think so.
• Melting lead in the kitchen? That is a good example for the boys.
• Why have a shower scene, in a “Scout” movie. Did the makers not know that Cub Scouts will be watching this? I am embarrassed to show this to my scouts because of the shower scene.
• What wife would ever allow a track set up in a bedroom? If your wife doesn’t mind. Keep her.
• Did you notice there wasn’t an award ceremony at the end of the race? Isn’t that kind of weird? Are they sending the trophy in the mail?
• The wheels on Ace’s car have illegal wheels. They are not BSA approved wheels.
• Ace makes all of that money and he has a Hand sander? You would think he could afford a Belt Sander.
• Why, with all of that Derby “knowledge” did they not have an extended base car?

I’m sure there is more, these are some I can think of off the top of my head.

Take Care
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Down and Derby Drives me crazy

Post by Darin McGrew »

I have heard similar complaints about ER from doctors, about CSI from forensic investigators, and about Star Trek from anyone who remembers high-school physics. It's just a story. Don't take it too seriously.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

chad9229 wrote:I’m sure there is more, these are some I can think of off the top of my head.
I've always wondered why they picked Banjo music to play at the start of the "plumbing problem".

I've heard a lot of Banjo music in my day, but I'm not sure I've ever heard it played in a building that actually had indoor plumbing :doh:

...I'm not seeing the connection :wink:
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

It was just after all a fictional movie.

I think they did not expect it to be such a hit. It was done low budget.

So, I also imagine that for some of the scenes that had to make do with what they had on had.

I was just happy to see a movie on it. Alot of sports still await a movie.

Sporty
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

... as my wife puts it the best whenever I ask the same types of questions ... without them ... there wouldn't be a movie! Okay, so the logic is not there, but it sounded good every time she said it! :lol:
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

• Since when does the Den leader and the boys within said Den have different Pack numbers?

He had just moved there and his wife had not fixed the patch yet.

• If you notice at the beginning of the movie when they pour the contents out of the box on the kitchen table, there aren’t any Axels, kind of weird.

The axles must’ve gotten stuck in the box… happens all the time!

• They are all Webelos and they have never raced in a Pinewood derby? That is kind of weird.

Weird, yes… impossible, no… it could happen!

• The guys a police officer? How much they paying Police officers these days? His parents or the wife’s parents have some money?

His wife is a highly paid model… couldn’t you tell? :)

• You are telling me when a wheel comes off that easy, you can put it back on that easy and it will run the same as it did 20 years ago? Don’t think so.

Ace’s car? Sure, why not… it could happen! Our District winner last year “hand drilled the holes by eye for the axles and let his kid play with the car in the driveway after slapping it together from an incorrect kit”… (rolling eyes)…

• Melting lead in the kitchen? That is a good example for the boys.

You don’t?

• Why have a shower scene, in a “Scout” movie. Did the makers not know that Cub Scouts will be watching this? I am embarrassed to show this to my scouts because of the shower scene.

I found the shower scene my favorite part of the movie!

• What wife would ever allow a track set up in a bedroom? If your wife doesn’t mind. Keep her.

Well then, that settles it… I was just about to push her out the door but she passed the old “pinewood in the bedroom if you truly love me” test… (sigh of relief!).

• Did you notice there wasn’t an award ceremony at the end of the race? Isn’t that kind of weird? Are they sending the trophy in the mail?

They already had put the trophies in the car… you know, scene editing… or that Big Dawg Great Dane of Little Jimmy’s may have snuck in and had them for a snack.

• The wheels on Ace’s car have illegal wheels. They are not BSA approved wheels.

The new car? Or the old car? Hmmm, maybe they have an open wheel class … I didn’t get to read their rules! (dang!)

• Ace makes all of that money and he has a Hand sander? You would think he could afford a Belt Sander.

Never question the tools used by an “artiste”… the man knew what he was doing… case in point, THE BOOK?!?!?!

• Why, with all of that Derby “knowledge” did they not have an extended base car?

There are some advantages to having the front wheels set back some if you are a master of alignment… COM rear-set and concentration of the car’s total mass are some of the things affected… our 6th place District car last year put the whammy on a LOT of extended wheelbase cars (like places 7-20!!!!!).

(and this is all tongue in cheek so don't get mad, OK?)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

oh yeah, the 5 cars that beat us were extended wheelbase...

we are not masters of alignment yet.

-T
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Teeeman wrote:• The guys a police officer? How much they paying Police officers these days? His parents or the wife’s parents have some money?

His wife is a highly paid model… couldn’t you tell? :)

(and this is all tongue in cheek so don't get mad, OK?)

-T
I figured with her qualifications that she was probably a lawyer at a prestigious firm or the head of a research / crime lab.

Or at least she seems to fit the profile of the lead actresses that play those roles on TV... :roll:
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Have you watched CNN at lunch?

They don't pick female newscasters for their deep voices you know...

:)

I remember way back (and now on Nick at Night) Home Improvement... Tim Allen's wife... (name?)... on the show... was believable because she was cute but not anorexically skinny and ditsy... sure, they had Plastic Pam and Stunning Debbie Dunning... but the wife role and casting and actress were praised because she was believable, strong and still characterly speaking a good wife.

:)

But if I were Mr. Allen, I would have had them re-cast Stunning as my wife and kept P-Pam as the ditsoid on the show

(maniacal laugh... my wife is in bed and won't get to read this, hahahah!)

-T
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

re-reading my own post...

I knew the ditsoid names and have no clue what to call the homely chick...

eeeek!

(OK moderators, step in if needed... sorry!)

-T
chad9229
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by chad9229 »

Funny Replys!! Like it. The whole post is Tongue and Cheek. Heck, my whole life is usually Tongue and Cheek.

:D Chad
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Teeeman wrote:I knew the ditsoid names and have no clue what to call the homely chick...
Patrician Richardson played Jill Taylor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101120/

Did Binford make any PWD tools??
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:
Teeeman wrote:I knew the ditsoid names and have no clue what to call the homely chick...
Patrician Richardson played Jill Taylor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101120/

Yeah, "her"... !

(thoughts lulling back to Pam and Deb...)

-T
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Teeeman wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote: Patrician Richardson played Jill Taylor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101120/

Yeah, "her"... !

(thoughts lulling back to Pam and Deb...)

-T
She wasn't too bad looking! I never realized she was 40 when the show started and 48 when it ended.

But Pam and Deb just "jump off" the screen!!!!
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Yes, Lawd, they DO jump off the screen... and in so many ways...

:mrgreen:

-T