Pinewood Derby for Boy Scouts?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
OCTom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pinewood Derby for Boy Scouts?

Post by OCTom »

My son tried to get interest for a PWD to little avail so he is relegated to the sibling’s race at the Pack level (only 3 races left but that should carry him to senior year). With so many other competing interests to scouts adding another fairly labor intensive activity is tough.

On a district level we are looking into adding some races after the district finals including the so called outlaw division. We will promote this to the Scout Troops as well as the General Public.
OCTom
Orange County, NY
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

I don't feel the boys should lose out on such a advent just because they reached a certain age
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Scouts Canada had Scout Trucks for the older groups.

http://www.magma.ca/~jaharris/28thOttaw ... s_2006.htm
SoloTSi97
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SoloTSi97 »

This looks to be a fairly old topic, but I figured I'd throw in my $.02.

Our pack and troop are a fairly close-knit group, since the six boys that make up our local troop are all "graduates" from our pack in the last couple of years. This year, the troop helped out at the pack derby ... manning the garage area, refreshments, keeping the cub scouts courteous and such. They're a big help.

In return, I suggested that we hold an Outlaw race (our first ever). The pack provided a car kit to each Boy Scout that signed up to help at the derby, and adults/siblings were allowed to enter as well provided they purchased their own kit. In the end, we ended up with four adult entries and five boy scout entries. There was definitely no lack of excitement on the part of the older boys (yeah, I mean this to apply to the boy scouts as well as the adults) ... I definitely see this becoming an annual addition to our derby.

While our troop isn't big enough to warrant a separate derby, at least not yet, the boy scouts jumped at the chance to sign up to help at our derby when I offered up the chance to race!

-Bob H.
Pack 54 Committee Chair (and adult Outlaw participant ;-)