Pinewood Derby for Boy Scouts?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pinewood Derby for Boy Scouts?

Post by gpraceman »

MaxV has an interesting article in the latest Pinewood Derby Times relating to Pinewood Derby racing for Boy Scouts.

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pinewoo ... imes-v7i8/

Personally, I'd like to see more Boy Scout races. Not only because it would help my software business, but because of the principles that it tries to teach the boys. From my customer database, there are already quite a few Boy Scout troops that run a race. There are definitely boys that wish to continue building and racing these cars.

MaxV - A minor correction on your Awana info. Awana goes from K to 12th grade. Most clubs don't do Trek (JV) or Journey 24/7 (Varsity), since their churches offer some other ministry for these age groups, but Awana does have these programs available for clubs that wish to implement them.

I hope his letter will help BSA see that this would be a good move on their part to encourage it with Boy Scout troops.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pinewood Derby for Boy Scouts?

Post by OneHour »

Boy Scouts and Derby? Why not? My oldest is 16 and #2 is 14. One is an Eagle and one is a Star. Both build their own cars and trucks to race in the Open and Outlaw Class in our Pack's pinewood derby!

The problem is not with the boys. The problem is with the adult leaders. I approached the adult leaders within our troop and their response is that they are glad that they are through with pinewood derby days!

Either way, you got my vote!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

OneHour wrote: The problem is not with the boys. The problem is with the adult leaders. I approached the adult leaders within our troop and their response is that they are glad that they are through with pinewood derby days!

Either way, you got my vote!
I hear you. We managed to convince/persuade/cajole the adult leaders to at least give it a try. In our troop they had 12 boys cross over who all wanted to continue with the derby (my son leading the charge). A compromise was struck. The Boy Scouts will compete in a separate Derby. Kits will be handed out 9:00am day of cub Derby, all required tools will be available (except the band saw and table saw, although I offered :lol: ) the scouts have until 5:00pm to finish their car and then race.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

I will approach the Scoutmaster of the Troop my oldest son will be crossing over to and ask about continuing the PWD. It sounds like an unfair advantage since we're Pack champions 3 years straight. They might see it as a way to continue winning races. I can't hurt to ask. I'll bring MaxV's article.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

I think this board is proof that just because you got a year older the pine sap in the blood doesn't thin out any...

:)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Teeeman wrote:I think this board is proof that just because you got a year older the pine sap in the blood doesn't thin out any...
Pine dust is just another addictive drug.
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

I swear ... I did not inhale! :shock:
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

OneHour wrote:I swear ... I did not inhale! :shock:
I did.

I think if I had the time I'd hang out at the Lumber Yard just for the smell.

Maybe I'll get a job at HD when I retire :wink:

Bubba

p.s. I visited our Troop the other night to repeat the invitation for them all to participate in our Open Class on Friday night. I'm thinking that if we get good enough participation from them that at some point we'll set up an "official" separate Boy Scout race.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

OneHour wrote:I swear ... I did not inhale! :shock:

I vote let's put OneHour on the Presidential Ballot then!!!!!!

-T
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

... and I swear ... I did not have pinewood derby crosses with that woman! I did know how that graphite stain got on the blue dress! :oops:
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

(Whoa!)

:shock:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Don't forget any boy or girl age 8 to 17, can race in the all american soap box derby !

Sporty
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

sporty wrote:Don't forget any boy or girl age 8 to 17, can race in the all american soap box derby !

Sporty
That's a LITTLE more expensive! But anyone who can afford to buy a lathe to turn wheels can afford that too. :mrgreen:
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I figured, since I have seen people put a few hundred into a PWd car, why not soap box derby. :lol:

But yes, it's gonna take about $800 to get into that, unless you get a used one.

However the chance to win a $7,000 scholarship has it's reward.

Sporty
colopwdfan
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by colopwdfan »

I'm glad someone posted this idea from MaxV's newsletter!
I feel it's a great idea.

And everyone I've talked to in our Pack is all for it. We just had the "Old Corps" longtime leaders leave. I think there's a "burn out" period - not regarding Scouting as a whole, but with PWD.

Not in all cases but sometimes on the part the coordinators and leaders and volunteers who are needed to run the event. It's a BUNCH of work and sometimes the adults mentioned above don't have as much fun as the kids participating.

John
Friends don't let friends drive eBay cars

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
Thomas Paine

Scouting for All