Car Number

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Car Number

Post by ohiofitter »

This year to get away of some of the first run mishaps....we have been assigned a number...Now to me I could go either way on the subject......but as far as for scout race do you think they should be allowed to pick there own number or just assign them one....I understand everyone going to like a certain number but maybe have them start with a 3 digit number or first come first serve to a particular number
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Car Number

Post by gpraceman »

Many kids would like to pick a number given a chance. We made up a number sheet from 1 to 100 and let the kids pick when they bought their kit, first come, first served.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

We assign them when they register. The 100s are for Tigers, 200s for Wolves, etc. They go on a small sticker which is placed on the car after inspection.
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Dad of 3 »

We assign the car numbers before we hand out the kits. We have 100+ boys so we upload boys names and car numbers to the software. We also use the 100s for tigers 200s for wolves etc. Letting the boys pick their own numbers would be an administrative nightmare.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Being a die-hard engineer, I have no worries with numbers assigned for identification.

They are completely meaningless with respect to car performance :)

Take the "number" they give you and generate some numbers that make them suddenly respect your number as the "lucky one".

:)

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Teeeman wrote:Being a die-hard engineer, I have no worries with numbers assigned for identification.

They are completely meaningless with respect to car performance :)

-T
Provided that the car numbers are, indeed, completely meaningless ... no more significant to the race process than the racers' names, then arbitrary assignment is acceptable.

The number is meaningful if it a the car's number in the racing chart. Then there would be the possibility for manipulation of "who races whom".

It is important that the process be devoid of opportunities for manipulation. Then, fewer suspicions are aroused when the race director's son does really well ... which he usually does.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

True...

guess my point was if the number is assigned, i.e. 13... don't sweat the number itself...

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

I personally like what we do, which is the same as gpraceman:
We made up a number sheet from 1 to 100 and let the kids pick when they bought their kit, first come, first served.
This way if someone is wanting to do a thematic car they have a chance to make it look correct. i.e. last year we did the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard. This car mus be a 01 or it would look ridiculous with "42" on the side. the same with this years car with is the Speed Racer Mach 6, it must be a 6.

For those who get upset at a first-come-first-serve basis because you will get those who will whine about "but they cut in line" then you could draw names out of a hat for the order of the kids picking their numbers.

No matter what is done there is no way to make everyone happy. Assigning numbers is definitely the easiest way, but I don't know that it is always the best for cars which require a specific number.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

millettbbc wrote:No matter what is done there is no way to make everyone happy. Assigning numbers is definitely the easiest way, but I don't know that it is always the best for cars which require a specific number.
You can still let racers put whatever number they want on their car AND assign car numbers. As cars check-in, put their official number on a removable sticker and place that on the car. After the race, they can pull off the sticker.

For our pack races we have done this. We also check with the racer to verify which end is the front of the car (not always easy to identify) and that is the end of the car we put the sticker on. This helps when loading the cars onto the track, to make sure they are not on backwards.

With our Awana races, that was where we would let them pick thier own number.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Dad of 3
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Dad of 3 »

I agree with Randy. The assigned number is just a small sticker for the most part is not seen except by the race officials. The boys can decorate their car however they wish and put whatever number they want on it.
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

I like the idea of the "official no." being added at the race day with a removable sticker. I will suggest that this year for our race. That is what I love about DT so much... all the great ideas and experience all in one place.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

You can still let racers put whatever number they want on their car AND assign car numbers. As cars check-in, put their official number on a removable sticker and place that on the car. After the race, they can pull off the sticker.

For our pack races we have done this. We also check with the racer to verify which end is the front of the car (not always easy to identify) and that is the end of the car we put the sticker on. This helps when loading the cars onto the track, to make sure they are not on backwards.
This is what I like let the kids choose.but the whole purpose of our number is for lane identification......the gentleman's a electrical engineer ...........and when it comes to the track.....there's always a big confusion on what lane is what lane
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

ohiofitter wrote: This is what I like let the kids choose.but the whole purpose of our number is for lane identification......the gentleman's a electrical engineer ...........and when it comes to the track.....there's always a big confusion on what lane is what lane
LOL!!!!

That's why I put big lane numbers at both ends of all the lanes last year!
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

ohiofitter wrote:and when it comes to the track.....there's always a big confusion on what lane is what lane
I use a 3 lane and the lanes are not numbered , they are color coded Red, White , and Blue.

We also use GPRM which will allow you to use numbers or colors to identify your lanes.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:
ohiofitter wrote:and when it comes to the track.....there's always a big confusion on what lane is what lane
I use a 3 lane and the lanes are not numbered , they are color coded Red, White , and Blue.

We also use GPRM which will allow you to use numbers or colors to identify your lanes.
With our pack's track, we put numbers on each lane, at the back end of the start section.

For our Awana club's track, we color coded the lanes. Colored tape running the full length of the track.

I much prefer the color coding. It makes it easier for the audience to identify what lane is what (assuming you are using race software that allows for colors and are projecting results for audience viewing). The audience can then serve as a last gap "that car is in the wrong lane" verification.
Randy Lisano