2010 BSA kit changes

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

2010 BSA kit changes

Post by FatSebastian »

The BSA has changed their Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby kits again. I picked a new one up today at our local scout supply.

The box is now a brighter blue and decorated to look like a wrapped gift. It has a printed yellow bow with ribbons, and a large gift tag that can be filled in. It is not clear if this newly decorated kit is intended to be seasonal, but the UPC code is different: it has changed from 730176170060 to 730176170008. The imprinted inventory code has also changed from IN0809 to IN0910. This seems to reinforce the impression that this is a month/year date code – if so, these kits are fairly new. Interestingly, the kit number (#17006) no longer appears on the outside of the box, and the copyright date on the box still says 2009.

Inside, the instruction sheet has been updated. The reverse of the instruction sheet is now Spanish. The “97” in the upper right-hand corner has been removed and the copyright date has been changed from 1997 to 2010. The font size adopted for the text is just slightly larger. The artwork also has some very minor alterations.

The rules language has been altered in a minor way, in that the language highlighted below has been dropped from the 2010 printing:
“Each car must pass inspection by the official inspection Committee before it may compete. If, at registration., a car does not pass inspection, the owner will be informed of the reason for failure, and will be given time within the official weigh-in time period to make the adjustment.”
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: 2010 BSA kit changes

Post by quadad »

Thanks, I haven't seen any yet. Do the wheels and axles look like last years' ?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

quadad wrote:Do the wheels and axles look like last years' ?
Yes, they look the same.

Looking more closely at the receipt, it identifies the new product as "17000 - Kit PWD Gift Edition" whereas the other type is identified as "17006 Kit PWD Grand Prix". This suggests that the gift kit may be cataloged as a different number; however, the enclosed instruction sheet still says at the top "A CUB SCOUT/PARENT PROJECT KIT NO. 17006".
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:watching: :watching: :watching:
Call it Popcorn Off to a Popping Good Start!

Fat Sebastion, Please fell free to use anything i'v posted here on DT
About the kit's and catalog numbers used threw out the years.

Some one has to keep up . . . with all the kit's & catalog numbers used!
It might as well be you who start's a log of it :thumbup:

Happy to help you out like you did for me!
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I hear through the grape vine. COnfidential source.

That Revell is getting the royal treatment, They are getting to make wheels also, but in china. So. HMMM we are gonna have issues here. wheels that may or may not be close enough, yet a authorized bsa kit / wheel seller.

Sporty
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

It appears as if Revell is no longer selling wheels,etc. at Michael's stores. But maybe at HobbyTown stores. FWIW
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

On December 26, 2010 we purchased a kit box which features a dark mustard yellow car having new-style wheels and lacking the historical "cockpit" section. The decal set used on the car has a pirate theme. The box is bi-lingual English / Spanish and copyright 2009, but looks very similar to the new-style blue boxes.

What is most interesting is this box has another inventory code of IN1100. I'm not sure how that code might translate into a date.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:What is most interesting is this box has another inventory code of IN1100. I'm not sure how that code might translate into a date.
Month zero of 2011, i.e. Dec 2010. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
quadad wrote:It appears as if Revell is no longer selling wheels,etc. at Michael's stores. But maybe at HobbyTown stores. FWIW
The displayed inventory at our local Michaels (which includes some wheels) looks to be last year's leftovers, and the clerk claimed that they consider PWD supplies a seasonal item for the summer. :/ We also checked another Michaels while traveling last month and could not find any PWD supplies displayed. However, there is at least one recent report of an amply-stocked Michaels store? I suppose one could always check under the Hobby Stores listing of the Revell Dealer Locator page or their Preferred Partner page (by entering your zip code) to verify that a local Michaels is listed as a retailer? (Yes, a store could be a dealer of Revell products but not stock their PWD supplies. :( )
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

The following images are of the pre-2009 kit, IN0809, IN0910, and IN1100:

FRONT:

BACK:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Here are a few more images pre-dateing the 2010-2011 kits
With catalog and bar code number changes.

I thought it would be helpful to share this info on the
Anniversary & Special Edition kits.
Because it might be helpful to unerstand how the catalog & bar code
numbers changed from year to year on these types of kits.

What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
FatSebastian wrote:
quadad wrote:It appears as if Revell is no longer selling wheels,etc. at Michael's stores. But maybe at HobbyTown stores. FWIW
The displayed inventory at our local Michaels (which includes some wheels) looks to be last year's leftovers...
To follow up, our local Michaels again appears to be fully stocked with Revell items, unlike last season. (With their 50% off coupon this week, we may have to get a few things!)
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

FatSebastian wrote:To follow up, our local Michaels again appears to be fully stocked with Revell items, unlike last season. (With their 50% off coupon this week, we may have to get a few things!)
I'll have to go check ours out. I thought the Manager told me last year that they were exiting that business, along with model rocketry.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

At today's weekly workshop, we had only two Cubs show up. However, both Cubs' kits, apparently purchased by the Pack in late 2012 from the local Scout Store, had old-style wheels. :/ One box was a 75th Anniversary, and immediately had me aware that the wheels in it were likely old. But the other one was a recent "Pirates" box - but still had the old wheels.

All in all, no big deal - I have many spare wheels on hand in 5 colors (leftovers from the "Great Wheel Analysis" a few months ago). But it concerns me that other Cubs in the Pack might be assembling cars with old-style wheels, which certainly won't work to their advantage in competition. Hopefully we can intercept then before the Pack event in early March.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rcmoeur wrote:One box was a 75th Anniversary, and immediately had me aware that the wheels in it were likely old.
FWIW, I visited a local scout shop before Christmas and I was surprised that they still some old "Z" coded boxes out for sale.
rcmoeur wrote: But the other one was a recent "Pirates" box - but still had the old wheels.
Thanks for the warning! Although I hate to say this, I would not rule out the possibility that someone might have purchased some new kits in bulk, swapped out the wheels, and returned some of the boxes.

It would be interesting if you can recall the embossed inventory code for the recent box. (I don't remember the codes on our most recent kits, except that the two middle characters were upside down!)