Remember it's for the kids...Bummer.

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Remember it's for the kids...Bummer.

Post by FatSebastian »

AlabamaDan wrote:My modified was really cooking, until it broke a wheel.
How did that happen? Was it dropped, did it derail, did it the stop section hard, loose axle hole, or... ? Just curious.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Somehow it jumped the track and hit the floor, must have been a rough joint or something. I had really pushed the limits of shaving down the wheels so they were very fragile. Last night I was tearing it down and cracked another by accident.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Those pencil think super fast cars but be really fragile. My cars were pretty chunky and I was worried about cracking and breaking.
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

It IS all for the kids...
A Grandpa asked what I'd charge to build a car for him to race in Outlaw division.
I refused, and explained that my efforts were to help the kids, not build my own fastest car.
He and his family are now big supporters of helping the kids.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

rpcarpe wrote:A Grandpa asked what I'd charge to build a car for him to race in Outlaw division.
I refused...
I would have told him that the charge was he had to come to the workshop and build it and I would help him when he got stuck, just like the kids. :)
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

HA!
That's EXACTLY what ended up happening... he, his son and his grandson all worked for several sessions in the Workshop. Kids' car turned out pretty good. The Grandpa didn't even get his car finished. He helped any kid and gave them tool time instead of hogging it himself.
They 'reimbursed' me by supplying bondo and paint... and fresh Krispy Kreme's last Saturday.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

AlabamaDan wrote:Somehow it jumped the track and hit the floor, must have been a rough joint or something. I had really pushed the limits of shaving down the wheels so they were very fragile. Last night I was tearing it down and cracked another by accident.
My son must be waay to aggressive in cutting down the wheels. We cracked another one last night. It's a small crack but we're going to run it anyway.

As for being for the kids....I didn't even get to build myself any cars this year. I will pull some of my slower cars off the shelf to participate this year just so we will have a nice size race, but plan to lose. At least the one I bring will look cool!

I spent all my time this year getting the track ready, new software and watching/talking with my son while he made his.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I dont' think it's a terrible thing to use your time advising and coaching the son during the build. You've done a good thing in helping him and helping others.
Let us know how it goes... when's the race?