Pinewood Derby Medals

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Project Pinewood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pinewood Derby Medals

Post by Project Pinewood »

Hi, as you can see this is only my second post, so please be gentle with me if this subject has already been addressed. I have looked but didn't see anything, but that doesn't always mean it wasn't.

Okay here is my "story". I have some neighbors who are BIG into Scouting and they even have a traveling Museum of Scouting memorabilia (they recently added a first edition Scout Uniform), so I saw what they had and thought to myself "you know the Pinewood Derby has changed over the years, even from when I raced the attitude and all has changed. Why not build a traveling display of Pinewood Derby items to take to Derbies and events as asked to, to show how the Pinewood has changed, and maybe take the older guys on a trip down memory lane". So that is what I am trying to do, I have been eBaying it pretty good lately (my wife just rolls her eyes) and have come up with some pretty cool stuff. I am looking at kits (so that people can see how they have changed, and Dads can say "Look son, that's the kit that I used"), cars, trophies, medals, ribbons, and misc. items. I am still learning about the kits (thanks to some really great information from a really helpful friend and some online searching) and most of the trophies and ribbons either have the info on them or I am able to get them fro the person who won them so they can give me the "history". But the medals are different, as most Packs didn't have the info engraved (at least not that I have found....yet) on the medals. I have found some that depict the old "soapbox" style car, and newer versions with the "wedge" but I don't know what years to even link these medals to. Can anyone help with info on the award type items?

I figure that if I am going to collect these items that I should know the "history" of them, I have even come up with an information sheet that I will fill out on every item in my collection so that if asked I can flip open the book and give the "complete" history of the item, as far as I am able to research or learn it. To me having such a collection that can't be appreciated by others is sort of a waste (not to knock on you guys who collect and don't display, it's just my personal opinion and point of view), so I am working to educate and let others appreciate.

I am still learning, and as is said in another group I am with "I sit at the feet of masters to learn from their knowledge" someday I hope to have others sit at my feet to learn, but for now I am the student and you the teachers. I admire and appreciate what you all do (funny thought just crossed my mind, maybe I should be called "grasshopper" as this takes me back to the TV show "Kung Fu"), thank you all for your input, your direction and comments.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pinewood Derby Medals

Post by whodathunkit »

"Look son, that's the kit that I used"), cars, trophies, medals, ribbons, and misc. items. I am still learning about the kits (thanks to some really great information from a really helpful friend
Hello Project Pinewood,

If you'll scroll down lower in general topics to Pinewood Derby History in the Making you'll see the collection I've previously shared. As you look through the cub scout program quarterlies you'll see I've also posted some old kit ads that were seen in them that show some ribbons and plaques that were offered through the years as well.

I feel like you do, about wanting to get the history out there for all to see and enjoy. You know who I am and you know what my e-mail is. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime and I'll see what I can do to help you with your questions about the medals that were offered as I do have a bigger collection than what I've shared.

Jeff, call on me anytime.

Mark Robison
AKA,Whodathunkit.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?