Slow Race?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Slow Race?

Post by VWAffe »

Here's an idea we've kicked around a bit - for an open class with a twist, some of us have had an idea to have a "slow race"... literally challenge the adults to build the slowest car possible that still crosses the finish line unassisted.

Has anyone else held a similar race? Or built a car to creep 32 feet as slowly as possible?

Just looking ahead to next year... 8)
Rukkian
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Slow Race?

Post by Rukkian »

We did this last year for the adults, and it was okay. It is definately a challenge to build one that still crosses the finish line.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

We had done that in the past at our Awana races. We called it the "Best Gas Mileage" award. We would advertise it in advance as we wanted people to compete for that award, instead of someone maybe getting embarrassed by receiving that award out of the blue.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Don't allow any 'track testing'. And race them once each lane, just like a normal race - and require crossing the finish line 'each' time, eliminating a lucky run. Also makes the build harder, as not allowed to 'reset' anything about the car that makes it slow. It has to be slow and stay slow for 4 runs (4 lane track).

Emphasize 'no moving parts' or something like 'all objects must be secured'. To prevent any string or tether techniques. Emphasize what can 'touch' the track, so that any drag techniques are no harm to the track surface or rails.

Decide whether you want rules on electronics. I have seen it tried (but it did not succeed) where the car was raised up in the middle, and was outfitted with several IR LEDs shining down, for the first 6" of the car. The attempt was to fool the bottom track sensor that a car had not yet passed over it yet until it almost was all the way thru. If that person had access to the timer for testing, he probably could have perfected the technique I think. Had it worked, I would have allowed the slow(er) time to stand...pretty nifty idea. If re-writing that race rule today, I would exclude electronics or any attempts to manipulate the timer.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dna1990 wrote:Decide whether you want rules on electronics. I have seen it tried (but it did not succeed) where the car was raised up in the middle, and was outfitted with several IR LEDs shining down, for the first 6" of the car. The attempt was to fool the bottom track sensor that a car had not yet passed over it yet until it almost was all the way thru. If that person had access to the timer for testing, he probably could have perfected the technique I think. Had it worked, I would have allowed the slow(er) time to stand...pretty nifty idea. If re-writing that race rule today, I would exclude electronics or any attempts to manipulate the timer.
A very novel idea. It may not work all that well, unless you can get the IR emitters high enough, since the lane sensors may be recessed down into the track some. Of course, you would want to make sure that the IR was not going to cause a problem with your own lane sensor.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

dna1990 wrote:... and was outfitted with several IR LEDs shining down, for the first 6" of the car. The attempt was to fool the bottom track sensor that a car had not yet passed over it yet until it almost was all the way thru. ...
Would a clear plexiglass panel running the first 6+ inches of the car's center accomplish the same thing? Just gotta keep it clean and crisp at the front.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Stan Pope wrote:Would a clear plexiglass panel running the first 6+ inches of the car's center accomplish the same thing? Just gotta keep it clean and crisp at the front.
I know that many acrylics and plastics do not pass UV light (based on some Halloween displays I tried). But as long as IR passes thru and doesn't glare off the moving car...just might work. They make those little IR Balls for use in robot soccer...they are encased in plastic and have no issue, even on curved surface.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

VWAffe wrote:Has anyone else held a similar race?
:nod: Perhaps better known as a "turtle race."