PWD in other countries

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

PWD in other countries

Post by terryep »

As we all know PWD was invented in California and is big in North America but what about other countries? Scouting is a British invention. Lord Baden-Powell http://www.pinetreeweb.com/B-P.htm Do they have PWDs in England?

I invited a friend of mine to come and watch our pack race, he took a lot of pictures to send to his friends in Russia. They have scouting there but no PWDs that he knew of. I suggested he take a dozen PWD kits over on his next trip. 8) Who knows, perhaps it will spread... maybe someday there will be real World Championships!

Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PWD in other countries

Post by gpraceman »

terryep wrote:As we all know PWD was invented in California and is big in North America but what about other countries?
From my GrandPrix Race Central site and my software customers, I've known of races in Capetown, South Africa; Guildford, England; Seoul, South Korea; Frankfurt, Germany; Austrailia, New Zealand, and there are probably others going on.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:
terryep wrote:As we all know PWD was invented in California and is big in North America but what about other countries?
From my GrandPrix Race Central site and my software customers, I've known of races in ... Austrailia ...
Which Australian organizations have incorporated PWD into their youth programs? I received an inquiry from a Scouter in an Australian metropolitan area last year regarding PWD. It was unknown to him, but he wanted to try to get something started. I sent him some wheels and axles (but no wood, which he said would get things hung up in customs due to import restrictions.) I don't know how things have progressed. Nor do I know if PWD was already alive and well in Australia and simply unknown to him.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Which Australian organizations have incorporated PWD into their youth programs? I received an inquiry from a Scouter in an Australian metropolitan area last year regarding PWD. It was unknown to him, but he wanted to try to get something started. I sent him some wheels and axles (but no wood, which he said would get things hung up in customs due to import restrictions.) I don't know how things have progressed. Nor do I know if PWD was already alive and well in Australia and simply unknown to him.
I'm not sure of the specific organization, since they had purchased our software through one of the timer manufacturers. They had called us from Austrailia since they lost their serial number. I did find this site for scouting in Austrailia http://www.scouts.com.au, but I didn't see mention of PWD. It seems there may be a PWD seed being planted there somewhere.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Similar to GPRaceman, I have sold products to Japan, Australia, England, France, Switzerland, and others. However, I believe that in most cases, the races were being held in an 'American enclave', or as part of an isolated event. Also, many of our military installations around the world have Cub Scout Packs that hold pinewood derby derby races.