World Record Attempt

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

World Record Attempt

Post by gpraceman »

There have been many attempts to have the longest track, but this is the first that I have heard about a try for the world's longest race.

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/sco ... a-boy.html

Must be using a 1000 elimination format. :lol:
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: World Record Attempt

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:Must be using a 1000 elimination format. :lol:
Naw, not enough racers in the state to make 1000 Elim work, even if they ran 2 racers at a time! N-Elim breaks down (gets very uninteresting) if the number of racers is much less than (Number_of_Lanes_Used)^(N-1).

They need a scheme that is more open-ended so that its end can coincide with the expiration of the 23.5 hour schedule. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

That was tongue-in-cheek, of course. I do wonder how they are going to format the event to make it last that long. Likely, there will be a series of races, with each one being dragged out for as long as possible.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote: That was tongue-in-cheek, of course.
Yes, of course! I was attempting to "add value" to the discussion.
gpraceman wrote: I do wonder how they are going to format the event to make it last that long.
Moreover, what do you do to make the racing interesting at 3 a.m.??? And how many Cub Scouts will be there racing at that time??? Do they have a "Lock-In" planned for 'em?

Maybe they will televise it? Would Jerry Lewis come out of retirement to host it?

Might be like a post-prom situation of "Let's don't, and say we did."

:offtopic: By the way, my committee came back and said, "We don't need a trial run of 15th Burlington ... It looks so good we'll go with it "as is" for the district races! (I was hoping for some more racing for the boys this fall, but ...)
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

You know, a "lock-in" structure might be workable for this kind of attempt ... divide the racers into 5 or 6 pools, divide the schedule into periods of about an hour each, and send the boys who aren't scheduled to race off to "nap".
Stan