How do they build these fast cars?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Rpenning1970
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do they build these fast cars?

Post by Rpenning1970 »

How do they build these cars that run in the 3.00 to 3.3 range and are legal? Am i missing something? I followed the plans but my car not my sons did not run at all like i expected it to.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How do they build these fast cars?

Post by sporty »

Well I am under sub 3.0 on a 42 best track. are they legal sure. And you can run faster like 2.24 and under but thats with other goodies.

But you did not mention what the track was.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

Rpenning1970 wrote:How do they build these cars that run in the 3.00 to 3.3 range and are legal? Am i missing something? I followed the plans but my car not my sons did not run at all like i expected it to.
Are these cars with the 3.00 running on the same track that you ran on? At the same race?

If you are comparing times that you read on DT keep in mind that track, track setup and locations all play into times that you are goiing to read.

The leagues that talk about sub 3.0 are on their track. One of them their track is set up all the time, never comes down. Was very carefully set up and always checked to make sure it remains constaint.

Like Sporty, I have ran sub 3.0 on a league track, but on my own track have only gotten a 3.001. My track is a MicroWizard, league track is BesTrack, My track is in storage most of the year, league track is alway set up. My tracks ramp not as steep of a slope as leagues track.

When my son and I started, we were running 3.4 and 3.5 now at 3.001. We moved and have had some time off but the bug is biting again.

If you are comparing times from other places keep in mind all the factors that come into play, track make, track set up, altitude, humidity, temperature, plus a host of other things. Find out what your baseline is and improve from their. IMHO that is what the Cub Scouts "Do Your Best" is all about.

Welcome to PWD and enjoy the ride. My son and I sure are!!
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

There are a lot of factors that go into building a fast car.

Wheel and axle prep, alignment, and weight location factor in.

Can you give us some idea as to what the rules are that you must follow?

That would allow us to start to give you tips and ideas as to where to look for those speed gains.