Work bench question

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Work bench question

Post by Noskills »

Well I am asking for a drill press and bandsaw for my birthday in two weeks. I am a bit concerned as I have a small work bench which really is just a steel and pressed wood storage shelf with only two shelves in place. If I place 2 bench top tools on this I will have no room to work and if I store them on the floor and put them on the workbench when needed I risk misaligning the drill press each move. Also I am not sure my work bench is solid enough to let me drill accurately. I don't have enough room for another work bench. Maybe a small desk sized one like I have seen online by Black and Decker. Any suggestions?
Noskills (soon to be Dr. Fourfingers )
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Eracer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Work bench question

Post by Eracer »

I use this and has enough room for both my mini lathe, mini mill, tooling, accessories and all derby car supplies http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... navAction= or this for my scroll saw and plenty of drawer space for storage http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... navAction=.

Could also mount the tools to a 3/4" plywood base and store them on a securely mounted shelf. When needed, take them off the shelf and clamp the ply base to your workbench.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:I don't have enough room for another work bench. Maybe a small desk sized one like I have seen online by Black and Decker. Any suggestions?
Are you suggesting replacing your current workbench? How much room length-wise are you talking about?

For a permanent workspace, we made a 2'-deep countertop out of a length of finish-grade 3/4" plywood. It is made rigid by a perimeter of 1x4s on 3 sides. Think of it as a table, except the long end w/o a 1x4 rests on and is screwed into a horizontal board fastened to the wall. The front corners rests on table legs make out of 2 x 4's screwed together. The height can be customized.

For temporary workspace, we use a Black & Decker WorkMate with a supplementary tabletop made from a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood (for us about 2 feet by 4 feet). On the bottom of the plywood we centered longways a 1x2 furring strip with wood screws, which clamps into the WorkMate. When not in use, the WorkMate hangs on the wall.
Eracer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Eracer »

Oh, most importantly...

Happy Birthday!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

:party: Happy Birthday Seth!

I had my Birthday just 5 days back.
Wife was good to me.. she got me a Miller wire welder & a DeWalt chop saw.
And all the projects she want's me to do around the house along with it to for my BD. :D
Boy what a surprize.

Hopefuly your Wife will get you that work bench for your Birthday Seth.

If not maybe some square tubeing legs could be made up from a Welding Shop.
That you could mount a 3/4 plywood work top on to.

Happy Birthday Seth.
Mark
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

Thanks for the b-day wishes. I think I will play with the Black and Decker small table and see if I like it. It would be cheaper than buying a big work bench to replace mine.
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
mebetree
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mebetree »

My workbench is a very old computer cabinet laid on it's side with a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum bolted to it as the workspace.

I keep getting tempted to sell the metal for scrap.