Question?

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Darksaber530
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question?

Post by Darksaber530 »

I LOVE pinewood derby racing, but I don't belong to boy scouts or any other groups and cant join any groups.
Are there any places that I can go to race in Denver, CO?
;)
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Question?

Post by Speedster »

There are several Pro leagues available if you want to race all year. The midamericaderby is coming up in May and has a Division for anyone. Since you're on Derby Talk, you might like to put a Derby Talk sticker on your car. Stickers available from Sporty. If he's out of them, email me. I'm not technically registered with the scouts, never have been, but I have been in charge of Pack 217's Derby for 28 years. I'm also involved with 2 other Packs and one other District. I pay the 1st Place winners to race me each year. I suspect there are many Scout Packs in Denver that would welcome your help with their Derby. If you are very knowledgeable about the Physics of the Pinewood Derby you could build models of cars and offer to put on presentations to teach how to make a car go fast. You could also offer your services in Derby Workshops. Contact your District Executive and offer your services at the District races. Soon you'll be able to race your car against the fastest in the District.
Denver is a big city. I suspect there is an opportunity to get all the racing you want. If you'd like to talk more about the Pinewood Derby, please email me.
Cheers,
Bill (Speedster)
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Darksaber530 wrote:I don't belong to boy scouts or any other groups and cant join any groups.
Outside of league racing ("Pro" is a misnomer), derbies are primarily a children's activity. Many civic organizations and local churches have their own derbies independent of Scouts.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

There are places to go to WATCH scouts do pinewood derby racing. One is happening this weekend. My son plans to race in this "special" event:

http://www.denverboyscouts.org/event/1244489" target="_blank

That said, I live in the Denver area and I'm not aware of any racing for adults. Our pack offers an "open division", but it is open only to relatives of the scouts. Our district doesn't offer an "open" division at all.

I think your best bet for actually being able to race would be adult league racing, where you mail your car into a race location. The midamerica race would be a great place to start

birddog
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Darksaber530 wrote:I LOVE pinewood derby racing, but I don't belong to boy scouts or any other groups and cant join any groups.
Are there any places that I can go to race in Denver, CO?
;)

You love pinewood derby racing, where did you do it before or prior at ? did you recently move ? Or did you recently become a boy scout ?

Sporty