Just a fun topic to talk about.

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Just a fun topic to talk about.

Post by whodathunkit »

With May 15th fast approching & marking this year as the 60th anniversary to the Pinewood Derby.

Where would you predict it to be heading in it's next 60 years?

From the changes seen in the kit over the years to the improvements with kit & wheel types.
What changes or improvements do you see happening with the future kits?

Or to the tools used today what tools do you for see being used in the future with this being
a world full of electronics.
Do predict that the kids of tomorrow will be useing computers with C.A.D systems
to draw out car patterns with.. like Andy Holzer and his son Noah do with there cars.
Or do you for see CNC routers or Laser cutting machines to be used also.

Do you for see tungsten weights will be used more or do for see titanium or gold weights
to be used in the future.. OK skip the gold weights as it would way to pricey.

Or do you predict that the kids of future will be building these cars
just as they have been for the next 60 years.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Just a fun topic to talk about.

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote:Where would you predict it to be heading in it's next 60 years?
Unfortunately, I am not certain that PWD will still be popular in another 60 years. (For that matter, I am not sure that BSA will still be popular in 60 years, given certain pending socio-political circumstances, but that is another topic.)

PWD is so much different than it was sixty (or even thirty) years ago, even though the concept is still the same. Way back when, PWD was the little kid's alternative to soap-box derby; now soap-box derby is almost unheard of and adults (former kids) race little blocks of wood competitively. Back then, you made your own track locally out of wood; now traditional wooden tracks are becoming rare, being replaced with commercial aluminum or plastic tracks and supplemented with electronic timers and computer recording. Back then, most people had all the tools they needed in their garage; now few families have wood-working tools which they must borrow or buy specially for the purpose, resulting in a growing market for "ebay cars".

When I was a kid, we made many of our own toys. We made "guns" out of sticks if we couldn't find or broke our store-bought cap guns that came from the five-and-dime. We built kites from scratch using wood and sheets. We made battleships out of blocks of scrap lumber, hammering in 16p nails to serve as cannons. We made our own bows and arrows out of saplings and twine. We even played with rocks, pretending they were treasure. Kids today, including my own, are far removed from the kind of play where you make your own playthings. I would expect recreational activities for kids of the distance future to only continue away from that direction.

I also expect the price of tungsten (W), already expensive, to only increase with time, and I expect the availability of lead (Pb) to be regulated out of existence, along with spray paints and other potentially "hazardous" supplies. Thus, the cost of competitive participation only grows, and rules become increasingly complicated to regulate this, making it more difficult to simply "just build a car" and have fun.

Sorry, I guess it wasn't so fun to talk about after all. :(
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I dunno. FS makes some good points, but I seriously doubt that the future of Scouting is at risk. Even the current 'issue' is being seriously debated down here in Irving, TX at HQ, and I think the eventual solution will work for most. I would argue that as we stray farther from those traditions that FB mentions, the need for the core values and skills promoted by Scouting will only grow more needed.

As for the Derby, that's a trickier question, and I tend to agree with FBs' views, but so long as boys memories are being made today through Scouting and the Derby, as eventual fathers, they will likely look back fondly and want to promote it forward into future generations. To borrow from Cub Scouts, the key is KISMIF. If you do that, I am confident in the Derby's future.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

It is a universal truth that things get better while people percieve that they are getting worse. The death of scouting lies only in their refusal to change with the times (if that indeed is what the choose). While outdoorsmanship should remain a staple of scouting, many of the things that FS mentioned should be embraced. Our den leader teaches about chemcial reactions, we use telescopes to find comets, we build rockets, we build simple circuit board, ect. The best way for scouting to become irrelevant as suggested is to maintain these beliefs such as the "issue."

As for PWD, I don't see it going away as long as it adapts as well.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

My opinion, Is that we are at a cross roads in this point of time and in the near future.

This will be a bit deep.

I connect many things to this summary of my view.

Church, marriage and family values and schools. seem to play a major role and connection with Scouting.

The highs and lows of enrollment around here, all seem to be a cycle and the higer numbers here tend to happen with a group from church or school, that are kind of like a group of family connected friends.

But Marriage and values play a important role here. I seen the numbers drop when allot of single parents are/ were on the rise in this area and it seems to go in 3 to 5 year cycles.

I see on the news from time to time, that this is become more wide spread all over.

If our country can re-focus its bonding and core values and family. Then I see scouting around for many years. The off set of this, is the gaming industry and ipods are taking over the wants and interests of children.

I would not be surprised, that more virtual reality comes into play and people will build there cars thru a software program, ect and connect with other members and have a virtual race.

If we look at the all american soap box derby, which my kids did for 5 years. They are going broke, car kits costs are up and entry fees to race are up.

And numbers go way down. Im not so sure they can survive another 10 years.

I think people like gregg Dawes, who puts a great deal of time to make sure a big scout race can happen. Thats what the future hinges on. Great people that can define and lead the way and growth.

Sporty
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I also worry about the ongoing 'virtualization' of things taking away from 'real-life' experiences. First person flying simulators are actually really fascinating, and can help teach flying fundamentals and physics. But the 'pocket-sized' design and physics lessons available in those derby kits are seductive, and easily deployed, and not as successful in translation (from a 'whiz bang' standpoint) as other activities such as flying or underwater simulations (unless you factor circuit type racing games, which are quite fun I must admit).

I do think the Derby needs to continue to advance with the times, and the peripheral materials (wheels, axles, weights) need to advance. But that good old block of wood will remain a Divinci sculpture waiting to happen. Only limited by ones' imagination. Therein lies the ongoing appeal of the Derby for both kids and their dads. :-)

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Gentlemen I thank you all for your view points.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?