Alternate Derby Wheels

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
mvettori
Apprentice
Apprentice

Alternate Derby Wheels

Post by mvettori »

I'm in a PWD fundraiser race and I'm in the Outlaw division, which does not have to follow the typical PWD restrictions. As such, I'm trying to build a car that looks like a dragster car and I would like to find realistic looking wheels (i.e., Large thick wheels on the back, smaller thin ones on the front, etc.). Does anyone have any idea where I can find wheels that would meet the style I'm looking for and fit on a PWD car?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternate Derby Wheels

Post by gpraceman »

You can use "razor" wheels on the front and regular wheels on the rear. You can find the razor wheels from the various online suppliers, like Maximum Velocity, Derby Monkey, etc.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

You could do the necessary modifications to the car and use the "Blast" car wheels on the back and Awana wheels on the front. I've cut Awana wheels for a project I was doing. Awana wheels look clever because of the spokes. I simply inserted the wheel in a mandrel, put it in the drill press and held a hacksaw blade against it. The "OUTLAW" divisions tend to have some very fast cars and it would be difficult to beat a car with razor wheels but I think everyone would enjoy seeing a dragster.
Good Luck
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Here is something similar that I made with Outlaw Wheels on the front, and PineCar-brand wheels on the rear.
mvettori
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mvettori »

Thanks for the info.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Another option would be to use Blastcar wheels for the rear, which are wider and taller than pinewood derby wheels. Light model airplane wheels could be used for the front (see this thread for a picture).