Liability at Workshops

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Liability at Workshops

Post by Speedster »

A friend's Pack and my Pack were scheduled to have a workshop in the Boy Scout Troop building which is loaned to them by a church. Two days ago we were told we could not use it. Too much Liability. It seems this was talked about long ago but I don't remember what was said. Do you folks holding Workshops have any concern about your own Personal Liability?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Liability at Workshops

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,

The topic you are thinking of is the
Liability & the use of power tools at workshops topic.

It's never a fun time with someone getting hurt at workshops.
Safety is as simple as A B C... Allways... Be... Careful.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:Too much Liability. It seems this was talked about long ago but I don't remember what was said. Do you folks holding Workshops have any concern about your own Personal Liability?
Questions about liability waivers have come up before, but perhaps you may be remembering this topic? AFAIK, as long as you practice Safe Scouting and the activity is approved by the Pack Committee, then BSA insurance applies. Of course there may be some additional paperwork necessary for unusual circumstances, such as if you are traveling outside your council, but it doesn't sound like it in this case...
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thanks guys, and Thank You FS for all the Blue words.
We were able to get the Jerusalem Township Hall which wasn't being used tomorrow. The Trustees are past Cub Scouts and fondly remember the Pinewood Derby. I remember Ron's son winning the District race a few years ago.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bill
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Another thing you can do is contact your local council and request a "Certificate of Insurance" for the location you are thinking of using. They usually can make one and have it prepared for you in under a day and it is usually good for all activities at that location for up to one year. This is an acceptable practice for many organizations that let local groups use their facilities for free. I file one with a nearby Lutheran church each year that lets me use their gymnasium for three of our workshops.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!