USA axles in Chinese tubes

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

USA axles in Chinese tubes

Post by Speedster »

I buy Chinese wheels and axles in the tube to get the Chinese axles to re-sell to the racers. It saves them from making a trip. I bought 5 tubes yesterday from Hobby Stop West and all had the Revell sticker. They are all mixed up. Some of the wheels are made in the USA with USA axles, Revell sticker, saying Made in USA. One tube says Made in China, Chinese wheels, USA axles, Revell Sticker. One tube saying Made in China, China wheels,China axles, Revell sticker. Out of the 5 tubes I got one with Chinese axles. If you're trying to get the Chinese axles, look very close at them before you buy.

Is there someone in "The Know" with the Boy Scouts of America? Did the Revell Company Buy Out all the wheel and axle companies? Will we be getting kits Made in China next year? Will the present wheels Made in USA become worth a Fortune or simply just drift off into the Sunset. Do I have to learn to read Chinese?
Edit.
I have checked Michaels and Hobby Lobby and everything in the Revell tube is Chinese. Perhaps the mess is somehow limited to our local hobby shop.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: USA axles in Chinese tubes

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:Perhaps the mess is somehow limited to our local hobby shop.
Were the tubes factory sealed or is it possible that an "ambitious" race team made some performance substitutions at the store?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Some of the tubes had the cap that went inside the tube like USA, and they were USA, and some had the cap that went over the outside. The tubes that went over the outside were sealed, or at least appeared to be. The tubes that went inside were not. They all had the Revell Sticker. Hobby Stop West is the only store on the East side of Toledo. They get a lot of Scout business this time of year. Michaels and Hobby Lobby are all 10 miles away.
I think you're RIGHT, FS. As I think about the seal, half of the seal is covered by the store's sticker with the price. The combinations were simply just too weird. Some axles were in little plastic bags and some weren't. All axles at Hobby Lobby and Michaels are in little plastic bags. They tricked me. They took them back and I got the tubes I needed from Michaels. Doggone it. My face is red.
They did have Revell stickers though, which said "Made in USA.".
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Speedster wrote:They did have Revell stickers though, which said "Made in USA.".
To suggest another possibility, Revell wheels were not always Chinese; "new old stock" product could very well include USA-made wheels. I have come across dusty American-made Revell wheels at a local Michael's within the past year. Usually these will be "old-style" (pre-2009) wheels though.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

WOW !!! I didn't know that either. Do you think Revell has the contract for making all of the Derby kit?